Area Youth Campaign For Voting Rights

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

Approximately 50 area youths met last night to urge the Cambridge City Council to permit them to vote in local elections.

Councilors heard testimony from members of the Campaign for a Democratic Future, a group of area high school students who want 16 and 17 year olds to vote in school committee and city council elections.

The student group collected more than 300 signatures in support of the measure from Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (CRLS) students. They presented these signatures in a home-made ballot box.

"We found as many people who support the measure as could have changed the vote in Florida," quipped CRLS student Emma Lang.

Several councillors commented in support of the students' efforts.

"Young people want to be a part of the process," said councillor David P. Maher. "They want to be more involved."

"It's good whenever we get young people more engaged in the community," added councilor Marjorie C. Decker.

Members of the youth group said they should have the right to select members of the school committee, as its decisions directly affect them.

The move to expand voting rights to adolescents comes on the heels of the council's decision last week to allow non-citizen immigrants to vote in school committee elections.

"Our lives are being decided by the school committee, and we have no control over it," said 17-year-old CRLS student Janasse E. Jean.

Supporters said being allowed to vote in local elections would help combat voter apathy among youth by getting them involved in the political process at an early age.

"We're engaging people in a life long process," said Cambridge resident Gerald Bergman, a member of Cambridge's Democratic Citizens' Committee.

Students also argued that allowing them to vote in local elections would combat student apathy.

"By the time you're 18, you've gone through four years of high school with no one listening to you," said 16-year-old CRLS student Hannah N. Jukovsky. "That's why young people don't vote."

Teens said the measure would help them become more involved in the democratic process.

"Our nation desperately needs a fresh new generation of voters," said Jesse Baer, 16. "Letting youth vote would get us in the habit of voting."

Students said the extension of voting would also make high school government and history classes more interesting by allowing teachers to discuss local politics with students.

The council should not be concerned about the maturity level of high school students because they have other responsibilities as important as voting, teens added.

"We're old enough to drive cars, have consensual sex, get married without parental consent, make wages and pay taxes," said 14-year-old Jonathan Bruderlein. "Why not vote?"

Councillors did not vote on the proposal last night. If the measure does receive the council's support, however, it would go to the state legislature for approval.

Youths said their effort to lower the voting age was inspired by a local non-profit. Janice Lee of the Boston Area Youth Organizing Project helped to advise the student group.