Campus Parties Debate Issues

By Mildred M. Yuan, Contributing Writer

Five days to go until the election, and Harvard political partisans ratcheted up the rhetoric last night, engaging in two "presidential" debates.

The "Final Face-off," held in the junior common room of Quincy House, featured a debate between Democrats Marc Stad '01 and Jessica L. Richman '01 and Republicans Jason P. Brinton '00-'02 and Heather A. Woodruff '03. All four are officers for their respective campus political groups.

IOP Director and former Arkansas Senator David H. Pryor moderated the debate.

The first issue to come up was the competing tax cut plans of Texas Governor George W. Bush and Vice President Al Gore '69.

While the Bush partisans promoted an across-the-board tax cut, the Gore camp said such a cut would damage the country's prospects for economic prosperity in the future.

In terms of education, the Republicans advocated the implementation of vouchers on a state level.

"We need to eliminate the soft bigotry of low expectations," Republican Woodruff said, imitating a phrase often used by her candidate. "I think we need to look to alternatives to reward productivity."

The Democrats, however, said they believed that public schools should not be slighted in favor of private schools, and that the voucher programs would result in cuts in public education--where they said it would hurt the most.

"Vouchers are bad--I feel vouchers are very bad," Stad said. "Vouchers take money from public schools. Let's not even talk about vouchers--let's talk about public education," he continued.

As Harvard students tend to vote Democratic, most members of the enthusiastic audience appeared to support the Gore surrogates. Repeatedly, after the Republican debaters gave their answers, snickers and snorts--originated in the crowd--often flew their way.

But during a question-and-answer session, most students asked serious questions.

A student raised the question of environmental planning, asking representatives of both parties for specific things they would do to improve the environment.

While Brinton said that Texas was ranked number one in the country in reducing pollution levels, Stad responded with numbers of his own, saying the state was in fact ranked first in terms of air pollution overall.

"The only thing that I know Texas ranks number one in, in terms of the environment, is being really bad," Stad said.

The scandal involving President Clinton was also fodder for discussion.

While the Republicans touted Bush as the candidate who would bring "honor and integrity back to the oval office," the Democrats dismissed the question as irrelevant and accused the Republicans of focusing on personality rather than issues.

"I don't really like the question," Stad said. "Gore is an amazing family man who has never cheated and never will cheat."

"Gore is so nice," he said to the audience's laughter.

The Republicans continued to attack Gore's character, citing political inconsistencies in the democratic candidate's political career.

"Gore will do and say anything to get elected." Woodruff said.

Stad questioned Bush's competence.

"Hey, I'd rather get a beer and go get drunk with George Bush--it'd probably be more fun, but do I want him to be president? No," he said.

The student debaters strayed into the touchy territory of abortion politics toward the end of the debates.

"I think we need a president who will uphold the sanctity of life in this country," Brinton said.

"This is a health issue. I am not advocating abortions, I'm advocating a woman's right to choose." Richman responded.

Last night's second debate was held at Loker Commons. It was sponsored by Politics for Dummies, a study group for the IOP.

Robert R. Porter '02 represented Bush, and Dan Fernandez '03 represented Gore.

The intimate, interactive setting also allowed for student interaction in the debates.

Moderator Sandhya Ramadas '03 focused the discussion on four issues: health care, education, economics and foreign policy.