Texas Disbelief: A Victory Lost

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Special to The Crimson

AUSTIN--The red carpet was laid out in front of the Texas State capitol building. But Texas Gov. George W. Bush never got his chance to walk on it as the 43rd President of the United States.

In what may go down as the strangest presidential election night in United States history, a victor was declared who was not yet a victor, a concession speech was awaited but never came, and an old-style Texas victory party was left in the lurch.

The Austin crowd, initially deflated by the apparent loss of the key electoral votes of Florida, could sense a Republican victory when the state became contested once more.

But in a cruel touch worthy of the Bard himself, the crowd celebrated sweet victory when Florida finally seemed to be in the Bush camp--only to be told a little over an hour later, that the man from Midland had not won the Presidency after all.

And more than a day later, the victor of the election remains unknown, with a recount in the state of Florida controlling the destiny of American politics--not even Las Vegas could have predicted this night.

The celebration started off festively for the nearly 20,000 supporters of Texas Gov. George W. Bush who flocked to the state capitol building on a frigid evening for an election night celebration. Food stands and beer taps lined the sectioned-off block of Congress Street, and a live mariachi band bellowed tunes as the crowd awaited the first state election returns.

That first hour of results, projected by CNN on a jumbo screen to the gathering, looked promising for Bush, as he jumped to an early lead in the Electoral College with a series of victories.

But then Gore was projected as the victor in the battleground states of Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida.

The crowd was not visibly affected, cheering loudly for the first glimpses of Bush shown on the jumbo screen, who was watching the incoming results with wife Laura Bush and his parents, Barbara and former President George H. W. Bush.

Standing in the center of a swarm of reporters after the projected loss of the three critical states, Texas Lt. Gov. Rick Perry provided prophetic words for the night.

"Projections are just projections," Perry said. "It's the final count that matters."

But even with an unexpected Bush victory in Gore's home state of Tennessee, some Bush faithful started to doubt their candidate's chances as the map of the Electoral College began to take shape.

"I'm a little bit worried," said Curt Hinshaw, who traveled to Austin from Longview, Texas with his wife and two children. "I really expected him to take Pennsylvania and Florida."

But then the country was given its first shock of the night--after analysis of exit polls, the major networks decided to take Florida from the Gore electoral column, putting the state back up for grabs.

What seconds earlier had seemed like an uphill battle suddenly became wide open, as deafening cheers drowned out the sound of the election results.

Jumping up and down and hugging his son, the previously reluctant Hinshaw formed a new attitude.

"It's over," he said. "If Bush wins Florida, it's over."

The night returned to its celebratory atmosphere after the Florida reversal, even though a light drizzle started to soak the crowd.

With Florida up for grabs, Bush held a strong lead over Gore for the first time, and the likelihood of victory seemed closer as the Bush-friendly Mountain states still lay ahead.

But a Gore victory in California pulled the race back into a dead heat.

"It's been nerve-racking," said Todd Chessher, as more state totals flowed in. "It's been extremely exciting because it's so close."

As the clock passed midnight, the outcome of the election hinged on a few remaining states too close to call, including Washington, Wisconsin and the previously declared Florida.

The supporters remained confident of Bush's chances, as they started chanting, "We want Florida."

Around 12:30 a.m. Central Standard Time, a torrential downpour hit the capitol, as streams of water flowed down the street, driving away a large section of Bush supporters. Members of the media flocked from the outdoor press area to the covered filing tent behind the celebration.

But those who remained outside witnessed the pivotal moment of the night. At 1:18 a.m. Central Time, the networks announced that Bush had carried Florida, giving him the majority needed for the Presidency. As a roar lifted from the Bush faithful remaining, reporters rushed out of the media tent, charging through Secret Service metal detectors to regain their spots outside.

Dancing in the street and waving cowboy hats and a sea of miniature American flags, the crowd reveled in what appeared to be the final outcome.

"This is just the greatest feeling," said Laura White, a student at Texas Christian University. "I'm so glad I stuck it out."

As CNN continued its analysis of Bush's election on the big screen, the supporters began noticing how dangerously close the final deciding tally was becoming in Florida.

"I'm still a little leery because it's so close," said Chad Perry.

But most of the crowd stood confident, and awaited Bush's arrival at the capitol for his long-anticipated acceptance speech.

But first, the crowd in Nashville had to hear a consolation speech from Gore.

As the crowd in Austin awaited the picture of Gore in Nashville congratulating Bush, the final twist in the plot for the night hit--CNN announced that the outcome of Florida was not certain and was being contested by the Gore campaign. Minutes later, it was announced that Florida's vote totals would have to be recounted.

Gore, who had already conceded the election to Bush in a personal phone conversation, recanted his concession and returned to his hotel, leaving Gore campaign chair William M. Daley to address the Nashville crowd.

"This race is still too close to call and until the recount is concluded and the results in Florida become official, our campaign continues," Daley said.

As the crowd in Nashville transformed from morose to re-energized, the Austin gathering watching on the jumbo screen murmured in confusion and disbelief.

"There's no closure to this night," said one Bush supporter to a friend.

With Bush no longer the certain victor, Bush's campaign manager Don Evans arrived at the capitol in his place, describing to the crowd the situation, while remaining optimistic.

"The latest vote count in the state of Florida shows Governor Bush winning that state by more than 1,200 votes," Evans said. "They are still counting, and I am confident when it is all said and done we will prevail. Thank you again for all your hard work and all your effort and we look forward to a great celebration."

Street crew started sweeping away litter as thousands of supporters remained in front of the capitol building, even after Evans had left.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming," said a campaign staff member over the speakers after 4 a.m.

"That concludes the program."

And the few remaining headed for the exits, still dazed over a false victory that had seemed so real.

--Staff writer Imtiyaz H. Delawala can be reached at delawala@fas.harvard.edu.