It's Beginning to Sound a Lot Like Christmas:Dust for Life, Fuel and Collective Soul at the WBCN X-Mas Rave

By Rebecca Dezube, Contributing Writer

Amidst the distribution of numerous Santa hats courtesy of WBCN, three bands took the stage for charity at the radio station's annual X-Mas Rave at the Orpheum. Dust For Life, Fuel and Collective Soul gave a concert that was full of energy and enthusiasm despite a relatively small audience. Listeners were rewarded with glimpses of all three bands' new albums, a chance to meet Dust For Life and a series of intense performances.

While not given an elaborate set or much in the way of lighting, Dust For Life's lead singer Chris Gavin attempted to compensate for the low role given to an opening band by frequently telling the audience about his band, their self-titled debut album and "Step Into The Light," their new single, as well as inviting the audience to meet with band members during intermission. Dust For Life was clearly a relatively new band-during numbers, band members seemed to be so absorbed in their music that their interaction with the audience was minimal. Their music, standard hard rock with pop-infused melodies, was very similar to that of Fuel's, and so fans that came to see the latter were most likely pleasantly surprised. The sparse stage and lack of interaction made the experience rather too much like listening to their album at full volume, but by their closing with "Step Into the Light," a high-energy song with an infectious, softly melodic bridge, Dust For Life's increasing confidence and comfort on stage was clear and energized the audience.

Fuel picked up on and magnified the energy. Led by lead singer Brett Scallions, the band brought the audience to their feet and kept them there. Scallions, who came onto stage in cowboy hat and blue feathered jacket, had enough of an element of musical madness to keep the audience more than interested as the band played cuts from their new release, Something Like Human, and their platinum 1998 debut Sunburn. Guitarist/songwriter Carl Bell's enthusiasm for his music was particularly evident as he provoked the crowd into standing up and singing along with such well-known songs as "Bittersweet," off Sunburn. When the band played "Shimmer," their modern-rock staple, band members left much of the singing to the audience, which was more than happy to oblige. A dense set and bright, explosive lights complemented the musical energy that crescendoed and climaxed in the band's latest hit single, "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)," a song which seems more appealing every time it's heard.

The Collective Soul stage was in sharp contrast to the crowded Fuel stage, despite the former having more band members. The almost retro set had a large space in the center for lead singer Ed Roland to engage in frequent dances with his microphone. Although much of the drums were synthesized at times-such as during the beginning of "Precious Declaration"-the playing of keyboards and variety of music made the sound of the five-member band different from the previous two. Songs from their newest disc, Blender, were mixed among numerous hit singles from their previous four albums, including the "The World I Know" and "December." Roland ended by telling the audience he wanted to play for them a little gospel song he wrote, and then thrilled the audience with "Shine," the hit single off Hints, Allegations and Things Left Unsaid. An encore cover performance of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" ended things on a much louder note, and left a raucous audience fighting for Santa hats from the WBCN deejays immediately outside of the Orpheum's doors.

WBCN X-MAS RAVE

at

The Orpheum

November 29

at

The Orpheum

November 29