Junior Remains In Critical Condition

By Joseph P. Flood, Crimson Staff Writer

Friends of Shira Palmer-Sherman '02, who was critically injured in a car accident Sunday, gathered yesterday to comfort each other and talk about their classmate and friend.

Palmer-Sherman remains in the intensive care unit of Mount Auburn Hospital, where she was taken after being hit by a car on Eliot Street outside of Charlie's Kitchen.

While hospital officials would not comment on Palmer-Sherman's condition, Rabbi Shai Held referred to her as "clinically brain dead" in an e-mail sent yesterday morning offering comfort to the Hillel community.

Cambridge Police Department (CPD) officers arrested the driver who was at the scene on an outstanding warrant.

The Pforzheimer House resident and native of Englewood, N.J., is a graduate of Horace Mann High School in Riverdale, N.Y., where she was active in the school's drama department.

Paul A. Gusmorino '02, who attended Horace Mann with Palmer-Sherman, said he has fond memories of performing with her in the school's production of "Guys and Dolls."

He called her "a very loving person" who brings passion and thoughtfulness to everything she does.

Palmer-Sherman has continued to pursue her interest in theater at Harvard, involving herself in multiple facets of numerous productions.

Gusmorino said she has varied interests in theater, and has participated in everything from singing and dancing to designing costumes for the freshman musical.

But Palmer-Sherman's enthusiasm is not limited to drama.

"She is a very artistic person....She just loves to express herself through art, singing and drawing the most amazing doodles during class," said Elizabeth R. Kessler '01, who met Palmer-Sherman through their work at Harvard Hillel.

Friends of Palmer-Sherman spoke of the hours she spent at Hillel both as the co-chair of the Hillel Dramatic Society and in other capacities.

She is "passionate about her religion," said incoming Hillel Chair Benjamin Z. Galper '02, also a blockmate of Palmer-Sherman.

Across the campus yesterday, students came together to deal with the shock, confusion and sadness they felt.

The largest gathering took place at an evening meeting at Hillel, where an estimated 250 students gathered with counselors from University Health Services (UHS) and the Bureau of Study Counsel.

Hillel Chair Michael Rosenberg '01 said he found the meeting to be extremely helpful.

"We began talking about Shira and what makes her special: her love for

life, her enthusiasm," he said. "We told stories about her, and we laughed, which really helped. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to go through."

Galper said of the gathering, "I just felt so lucky to have a community to come together and rely on. Otherwise, I don't know what I would have done."

At 8 p.m., another meeting was held at Pforzheimer House for friends and concerned students.

"I think everyone who was there felt it was a very welcome opportunity to share our senses of sorrow, and anger, and confusion," said Pforzheimer House Co-Master Jim McCarthy.

"We will probably have another session like this after the holiday break. As we are facing reading periods and exams, it may be helpful to come together as a community," McCarthy added.

Adams House Co-Masters Sean and Judith Palfrey also made themselves available for concerned Adams House residents.

"Harvard is a close enough community that this kind of thing is just devastating....People need an opportunity to express themselves," Sean Palfrey said.

Hillel and UHS will be open all day tomorrow for students.

Galper called Palmer-Sherman "a very devoted person to her religion, and her family, and her friends and boyfriend," Galper said. "It may be a little cliche, but...she would brighten a whole room up."

WCVB, Boston's ABC affiliate, reported last night that police said Palmer-Sherman may have been first struck by another driver. The driver, who was arrested Sunday evening, told police he did not realize he had hit anyone, WCVB reported.

The station did not attribute the report to a specific source within the police department. When contacted by The Crimson, CPD would neither confirm nor deny the report.