M. Volleyball Slams Roger Williams, 3-1

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Contributing Writer

Last night the men's volleyball team (3-1, 1-0 EIVA) rebounded from a loss on Monday by beating the Roger Williams Hawks in four games, 15-13, 9-15, 15-13, 15-9.

Like Monday's match against Springfield, last night's contest provided an important test for the Crimson in its first league game of the season.

The first game, which Harvard narrowly won by the score of 15-13, set the tone for the remainder of the match because both teams were equally matched.

The game began with two crushing kills by sophomore middle blocker Justin Denham, who came into last night's game averaging three kills a game. Roger Williams answered with four quick points, followed by three points for Harvard.

The first game continued in this back-and-forth manner with each team claiming the lead and trading serving chances.

"The first game was about making side outs, and we were able to side out at will," freshman setter Mike Bookman said

Bookman made a massive contribution to the Crimson's success last night with 71 assists and eight blocks

Despite Harvard's ability to regain serve easily, the Crimson was plagued with various service errors, and the game remained close. Ultimately, the Crimson was able to hold on for a 15-13 win in the first game.

Roger Williams countered in the second game with persistent defense and solid serving and tied the match at one game a piece by winning 15-9. The Crimson's second-game mental lapse was eerily reminiscent of Monday's game against Springfield.

Unlike Monday's game though, the Crimson was mentally prepared for the crucial third game.

Down 6-0 early in the third game, Harvard Coach Tom Wilson called a time out to encourage his struggling team.

"Things turned around after the time out," Wilson said. "And we showed some real toughness in climbing back into it."

Toughness was a good word to describe Harvard's amazing rally that tied the game at six-all. Fueling the rally was scrambling defense by senior Joe Herger, who ended the night with 16 digs, and junior co-captain Justin Micomonaco, who contributed 14. Coupled with phenomenal offensive firepower from junior Brian Stevenson, the Crimson was able to get back into the game.

Stevenson, whom Wilson described as "unstoppable," had 22 kills and a .483 kill percentage on the night and accentuated the Crimson rally with a devastating kill down the line to pull the Crimson even.

Harvard was able to use its defense to fend off efforts by Roger Williams to climb back into the game, riding the momentum of blocks by Bookman and co-captain Ed Pankau. After a gritty 15-13 win in the third game, the Crimson turned its attention to sealing the deal and winning its first league match.

Riding the strong offensive contribution of Stevenson and an impressive surge of floor defense, the Crimson was finally able to beat the Hawks 15-9 with a dramatic ace by Bookman.

The win, although far from perfect, accentuated some key elements necessary for Harvard's continued success in the EIVA--consistent serving and tenacious defense.

"We need to serve tough to win our league, and if we can keep up our defense we'll be able to take care of business," Pankau said.

Coach Wilson was also content with his team's spirited play.

"I am pretty pleased with the win," Wilson said. "But we still have a lot to work on for our next game."

The Crimson's next game is Friday night against Eastern Mennonite University, another league opponent. With continued determination and improvements in serving, the Crimson should be able to look forward to continued success in the EIVA.