Campaign Managers Discuss Alure of Politics

Bush, Gore staffers call their jobs rewarding

By Jonathan F. Taylor, Crimson Staff Writer

The Massachusetts state directors for the presidential campaigns of both George W. Bush and Al Gore '69 shied away from partisanship in their discussion of the life of a political insider last night, where both encouraged students to pursue what they called a rewarding but taxing profession.

Dennis J. Newman '72, state director of the Gore 2000 campaign, and Rob Gray, Mass.executive director of Bush for President, spoke to about 40 students in the Loker Commons coffeehouse for almost an hour. The informal discussion was part the Institute of Politics' (IOP) Pizza and Politics series.

The speakers focused on their personal journeys into politics. "I got started in college," Newman said of his career choice. "It's hard work but fun...To paraphrase the novel Stranger in a Strange Land, politics is the only game for adults."

Gray, who attended Middlebury College as an undergraduate, spent his college years outside of the political arena, and only became interested in politics later in life.

"I got out of college in the spring of 1990, Bill Weld was running for [Mass.] Governor and I began working for the campaign while painting house for money. I just got hooked," Gray said.

"I like the excitement, the rush at the end," he added. "I said to myself that if I couldn't make a decent living five years after college doing this, then I'd find another line of work. But I'm still here and doing alright."

The speakers also discussed the primary races and the general election in November, paying special attention to the insurgent campaign of Arizona Senator John S. McCain.

Newman said that the public believes Vice President Gore has the Democratic nomination all but sown up, while the Republicans are still locked in a heated political battle.

"McCain has caught on fire and sucked all the oxygen out of Bradley's campaign," Newman said. "Independent voters who are intrigued by Bradley-McCain, now see the Democratic race as over after New Hampshire, while the Republicans are still going."

"Republicans have been forced to move more to the right in this heated competition," he added. "I'm sure they'd prefer not to but they have to win their primary. We've had to move to the left a little but not as much."

Newman has been working in the Democratic Party since his years at Harvard in the 1970s and worked for former Mass. Senator Paul Tsongas through his failed presidential bid in 1990. Afterward, he worked in the Clinton White House before coming home to Massachusetts to run the Vice President's campaign.

Gray has been working with Mass. Republicans for the past 10 years, aiding in the campaigns of former Governor Bill Weld and current Governor A. Paul Cellucci.

Pizza and Politics Coordinator Mattie J. Germer '03 said she invited the speakers in an effort to bring in experienced campaign managers from both major parties.

"We sent out letter to all four major campaigns, and these were the two that responded first. We're not making a statement about who's going to win the primaries," said Germer, who is also the Harvard Students for McCain coordinator.

Previous Pizza and Politics events have hosted political figures including Gov. Jesse Ventura and actor and onetime presidential prospect Warren Beatty.

But while this event did not require a lottery or fill Loker Commons, at least one participant said she enjoyed the informal events.

"I think the Pizza and Politics format is really cool. I came to two as a Pre-Frosh, and it gave me a good feel for Harvard," said Gilmara Ayala '03. "It showed to me, that at Harvard not only would you by studying about great leaders, but you would be listening to them personally."