Johnson Honored With Vanguard Award by ABHW

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan, Crimson Staff Writer

The brotherhood chair of the Black Men's Forum was the first to stand last night as Gigi N. Parris '03 began her rendition of "Lift Every Voice and Sing."

When Harrel E. Conner '02 rose from his seat at the Kennedy School of Government's ARCO Forum, he began the first of what would be many standing ovations at the awards and talent show portion of the annual Tribute to Black Men.

The festivities were part of a week-long program sponsored by the Association of Black Harvard Women (ABHW).

Parris' performance opened the event, which honored Clinton administration official Ben Johnson with the 2000 Vanguard Award, given to a black man who excels in his field.

Johnson is the director of the President's Initiative for One America--the first free-standing White House office to examine and focus on closing opportunity gaps for minorities.

"He is a powerful man who is indeed dedicated to the black community," said ABHW President Giselle J. Pinto '00.

S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations, presented Johnson with the award.

In his acceptance speech, Johnson thanked ABHW for "giving him a break from the White House," spoke of his admiration for President Clinton and discussed social responsibility.

"I'm a little cog in a big wheel...you are cogs in a wheel too. You must make a difference," Johnson said.

In addition to Johnson, the event honored four black Harvard men, one from each undergraduate class, for their achievements.

The association took nominations for the awards, and chose James C. Coleman '03, Hakeem Rahim '02, Brandon K. Walston '01 and Adeyemi K. Delbridge '00 as its honorees.

A black male senior at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School also received a partial scholarship at the event.

The awards ceremony was interspersed with performances, including an original poetry recitation by Rahim, two dance numbers by the Harvard-Radcliffe Caribbean Club Dance Troupe, presentations by various fraternities and a saxophone solo.

Earlier in the day, Johnson participated in a roundtable discussion with ABHW members. Johnson also met with former Wyoming senator Alan K. Simpson, director of the Kennedy School's Institute of Politics.

The talent show and awards presentations are part of a larger series of events taking place this week as the Tribute to Black Men.

The Tribute to Black Men includes film screenings, discussions and a party Saturday, with admission free for black men arriving before 11 p.m.