No. 1 W. Hockey Falls to No. 8 Providence, Ties No. 6 Northeastern

By Zevi M. Gutfreund, Crimson Staff Writer

It was a frustrating weekend on offense for the No. 1 Harvard women's hockey team. The Crimson scored one goal in two games at Bright Hockey Center, falling 1-0 to No. 8 Providence yesterday after tying No. 6 Northeastern on Saturday, 1-1.

"We are just not as explosive as we would like to be right now," said Harvard Coach Katey Stone. "We were a little leg-weary, we were not really on with our passes, and things just did not click very well."

The Crimson (13-3-3, 11-3-3 ECAC) fell to third place in the ECAC, four points behind conference leader Brown. The No. 2 Bears (14-2-3, 13-1-3), who are also Harvard's travel partners, beat the Friars on Saturday, 3-1, and then defeated the Huskies yesterday, 4-2.

Sophomore center Jen Botterill (15 goals, 32 assists) missed both games due to a groin injury. The Harvard offense, which averages more than four goals a game, was unable to cycle the puck down low for quality shots in the slot without Botterill, last season's ECAC Rookie of the Year.

In addition, junior winger Tammy Shewchuk (21 g, 19 a) and sophomore defenseman Angela Ruggiero (11 g, 19 a), returned to Cambridge shortly before game time on Saturday and played four games in the last five days.

Ruggiero and Shewchuk had been playing for the U.S. and Canadian national teams, respectively, at the Air Canada Centre as part of the festivities for yesterday's NHL All-Star Game. The two All-Americans from last year combined for one assist on the weekend.

Freshman defenseman Jamie Hagerman scored the lone Harvard goal of the weekend. Hagerman and Ruggiero both took shifts up front as Stone shuffled her forward lines in search of some offensive firepower.

Harvard will be in action at Bright tomorrow night. The Crimson will take on Boston University in the first round of the Beanpot at 5 p.m.

Providence 1, Harvard 0

The Friars (16-6-3, 10-5-3) capitalized on a Crimson breakdown in the second period and tightened up their defense in the last 20 minutes to preserve the one-goal margin and hand Harvard its second home loss of the season yesterday.

The Crimson failed to score a goal for the first time in its last 83 games. Providence goaltender Sara DeCosta, a gold medalist on the 1998 U.S. Olympic Team, stopped all 24 Harvard shots. In the last meeting between these two teams Jan. 8, DeCosta had 45 saves, including seven in overtime, to force a 1-1 overtime tie.

"We take pride in being a good defensive team," said Providence Coach Bob Deraney. "We didn't have many lapses and we didn't beat ourselves today. We had a great opportunity in the second period and we made the most of it."

Providence center Jess Tabb, the Friars' leading scorer, scored the game's only goal 3:24 into the second. Senior goaltender Crystal Springer tried to play the puck behind the goal. But the puck trickled into the crease, and Tabb was waiting to knock it into the open net.

"I was going in to forecheck and the puck just popped out," Tabb said. "I was in the right place at the right time."

Providence continued to dominate the second period, outshooting Harvard 10-5. But Springer bounced back to make the final 13 saves and give her teammates a chance to tie the game in the third period.

Harvard had plenty of chances to get the equalizer. With Ruggiero, Hagerman, and junior center Kiirsten Suurkask alternating shifts on the top line alongside Shewchuk and junior winger Angie Francisco, the Crimson fired 13 shots on goal in the final 20 minutes.

"We did have more opportunities in the third period, but it didn't work," Stone said. "It works when you score and you win, it doesn't work when you don't score."

DeCosta, who leads the conference in save percentage (.954) and is second in goals-against average (1.26), was not phased by any of Stone's line changes. She came out of the box when she had to and relied on her stick and her glove to record her eighth shutout of the season.

"We were trying to move her from side to side but most of our shots were straight on," Ruggiero said. "DeCosta is such a good goalie that she is going to stop all of those."

Harvard 1, Northeastern 1 (OT)

Both the Crimson and the Huskies (15-6-3, 10-5-3) turned up their offenses as the game wore on, but neither netminder would allow a second goal as the cross-town rivals settled for a 1-1 tie on Saturday.

"Both teams played solid defense and there weren't a whole lot of great opportunities," Stone said. "It was a good effort by both goaltenders, and this game should sweeten the pot for the Beanpot next week."

The Huskies outshot the Crimson in the third period, 14-8, to overcome a 1-0 deficit and force overtime.

Northeastern got the equalizer 7:36 into the third period, shortly after it killed its final penalty of the game. Center Brooke Whitney crossed the blue line and shot from inside the left wing. Springer stopped the initial shot, but Husky defenseman Kim Greene put back the rebound from the slot.

"I don't get down in the slot much, but when I do I try to put the puck in the net and that was just what we needed," said Greene, a freshman, who had scored a goal in her third straight game. "Whitney was up front and I followed her. The rebound was behind me so I took the shot and it went in."

Harvard set the tempo in the extra period, managing seven shots while holding Northeastern to one, but Husky goaltender Erika Silva used her glove to force the tie.

"This was a good game for Erika to settle down against a high-powered offense and set the pace for us," said Northeastern Coach Heather Linstad.

Silva had 31 saves in the game, covering up early and often to prevent Harvard from second chances and extended time of possession. On the other end of the ice, Crimson netminder Crystal Springer stopped 31 shots, including several from Northeastern star winger Hilary Witt in the final minute of regulation.

"Crystal Springer is a great goaltender and she proved it today," Stone said. "She had to really help us out a couple times because we just stood around and watched her go to work."

Going into the third period, the Crimson had a slight edge in both shots, 17-16, and goals, 1-0. Just like Greene, it was a rookie blueliner that put Harvard on the scoreboard.

Hagerman solved Silva with 3:29 left in the second period on a Crimson power play. She accepted a pass from Angela Ruggiero, her blueline partner, at center ice and fired a slapper that found the right corner of the net.

"Sometimes we don't shoot enough on the power play, so I was just looking for an opening," said Hagerman, who leads all rookie defensemen in the ECAC in scoring. "When Angie Francisco and Ruggiero got the puck to me, I just put my head down and tried to put it on net. Tammy Shewchuk and Tara Dunn were screening out the goalie so it went in."