Athlete of the Week: Dora Gyorffy

By Elizabeth M. Lewis, Crimson Staff Writer

Imagine jumping almost two meters into the air. Junior Dora Gyorffy did, and she is confident she can do it again.

This past weekend junior Dora Gyorffy captured the NCAA high jump title at the University of Arkansas. She jumped to a height of 1.94 meters, 0.07 meters higher than the next highest

jumper.

Just two weeks ago, Gyorffy tied the NCAA high jump record with a jump of 1.97 meters at Heptagonals. In that event, a torn shoe kept her from completing all of her attempts at the

next highest height, a height that would have been record breaking. Gyorffy's outstanding performance at Heps helped Harvard win its first Heptagonal championship in ten years.

Along with her NCAA title and record-tying height at Heps, Gyorffy secured a place on the Olympic team of her native country, Hungary. She will continue to train this spring at Harvard

and will then spend her summer in preparation for Sydney.

"She is very confident in her own abilities," Harvard Coach Paul Turner said. "She has moved to a whole new level, and she finally realizes that."

Gyorffy, who was ranked No. 3 in the world in the indoor high jump this season, said she thinks she will be able to jump higher that 1.97 meters outdoors this spring. With her perseverance and consistency, this goal seems likely.

"She is very determined and works very hard," Turner said. "Sometimes, in fact, we have to rein her in because she works too hard."

Since her freshman year, Gyorffy has amazed the Harvard track coaches with her dedication and work ethic. Indeed, it is a rare event if she does not win in the high jump, and she also competes successfully in the triple jump.

Because of her outstanding personal accomplishments in the past weeks and for all she contributes to the Harvard team, the Crimson honors junior Dora Gyorffy as its Athlete of the Week.