Yard Burglar to Serve Two Years

District court revokes Stuckey's probation at hearing yesterday

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

Bringing an end to a five-month ordeal, the Yard Burglar's probation was formally revoked yesterday, sending him to a Massachusetts jail for two years.

In a probation suspension hearing with a Middlesex County district court judge, Andre K. Stuckey Jr. was ordered to serve out the full length of his two-year jail term.

"Normally, when people are released they are given four or five conditions of probation," said Peggy A. McNamara, spokesperson for the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD). "Stuckey violated almost of them."

In a Dec. 1 court appearance, Stuckey pled guilty to seven charges in connection with a slew of Yard break-ins in October.

At that time, the judge sentenced Stuckey to a two-year jail term, but suspended it for time already served. The court has also ordered him to pay a $60 fine and $533.20 in restitution to his victims. Under that original agreement, Stuckey was supposed to check in with the court today, to ensure he was abiding by the conditions of his release.

After his release, a burglary in Matthews Hall led HUPD to issue another warrant for his arrest. Stuckey was captured in California a week later.

HUPD officials said Stuckey was voluntarily brought back to Cambridge after waiving a rendition hearing in Los Angeles.

HUPD still hopes to bring additional charges against Stuckey for the suspected Dec. 2 break-in at Matthews Hall.

"We're working with the D.A.'s office to obtain an indictment on the incident he was allegedly involved in the evening he was released," McNamara said.

An indictment for the Dec. 2 incident would mean Stuckey would face charges in Middlesex Superior Court and a possible jail term in the Commonwealth's correctional system.

Currently, Stuckey is being housed at the Billerica House of Corrections.