City Council Approves New Eruv District for Orthodox Jews

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

At the request of members of Cambridge's Orthodox Jewish community, the City Council on Monday approved the creation of an eruv district around portions of the city to allow Orthodox Jews to carry objects in the city on the Sabbath.

An eruv is a ritual enclosure that creates a ceremonial boundary around an area, allowing Orthodox Jews to transport items on the traditional day of rest. According to Orthodox interpretation of Jewish law, work--including carrying--cannot be performed on the Sabbath.

"It's a symbolic parameter that surrounds the community and allows traditional followers to carry," said Cambridge resident Roy Feldman.

Without an eruv, Jews who observe the Sabbath restrictions would not be permitted to carry small children or use wheelchairs or strollers in between public and private buildings.

"If you have a baby and you want to carry them to a synagogue, you can't," said Hillel Chair Michael Rosenberg '01.

"[The eruv] lets the disabled and those with small children participate in Sabbath activities," said Rabbi Robert Klapper, who also serves as the Orthodox Rabbinic Advisor for Hillel.

Not all Jews observe the Sabbath restriction that prohibits believers from transporting objects, including carrying anything in their pockets, on Friday night and during the day on Saturday. But many Orthodox and some Conservative Jews will be affected, including some Harvard students.

"If you want to carry your books on the Sabbath, now you can," Rosenberg said.

Most of the eruv will be constructed out of existing structures, with any gaps in the parameter connected using nylon chord.

"It's an actual physical boundary made of existing walls, poles, bushes and whatever else is necessary," said Stephen Bickel, a member of the core committee of the North Charles Community of Eruv.

"It constructs what is symbolically a wall made of nylon," said Janet Shuldiner, also a member of the core committee.

Bickel said the measure should not create concerns about the city becoming too involved in religious matters.

"If there are concerns of separation of church and state, the involvement of the city does in no way affect the establishment clause of the Constitution," Bickel said.

Eruv districts already exist in several major cities throughout the country including New York, Los Angeles and Boston.

While no timeline is currently set for the project, supporters of the eruv proposal will now work to secure licensing agreements with utility committees, since much of the parameter will be formed by telephone poles and wires.

The group still has to seek approval from the cities of Somerville and Medford, which will also be partially included in the eruv district.

"I hope it's done before I graduate," Eli L. Diamond '01 said.