The Mo(u)rning of Housing

By The CRIMSON Staff

The squirrels weren't the first to rise this morning. For our bushy-tailed friends, what might have been a peaceful scamper along the dew-covered Yard transformed into a horrific scramble through a cacophony of cheers, moans and wails. To the urban wildlife so accustomed to the sunrise serenade of songbirds, these staccato bursts of screaming would have sent the even the most stalwart of squirrels scurrying.

True, these unenlightened rodents know little of our ways and customs. How could they? One imagines that these beady-eyed beasts might spend several years in one gnarled oak, living comfortably with nine, perhaps ten, acquaintances. Should one resident grow weary of its vista, it might venture north toward the more spacious beeches or south toward the scenic riverside elms. With such freedom, it is no wonder that these acorn mongers live cheerful little lives.

Until, of course, their blissful morning scamper is cut short by the fearsome roar of first-year blocking results.

To some first-years, the news will be welcomed with open arms. For them, life is good, the world is just and today's tomato tofu sizzle is just scrumptious.

But to the other half of the Class of 2003--the half who might, upon hearing the news, reach for this fine paper to wipe away a tear or blow a nose--keep your chin up. The best advice for these tumultuous times: Give your new home a chance. Our Houses may not be perfect, but they are far from hopeless.

Just think: No matter how badly you think of your House, it will sure beat living in a tree.