MIT Student Succumbs to Burns After Possible Suicident Attempt

By Daniela J. Lamas, Crimson Staff Writer

The MIT sophomore found on fire by police last Monday in her Mass. Ave. dorm room died Friday from her injuries.

Elizabeth Shin, a 19-year-old biology major, had been in critical condition at Massachusetts General Hospital suffering from severe burns to more than 65 percent of her body.

Around 9:15 p.m. last Monday, a friend called MIT police to report that smoke was pouring from Shin's room.

The entire on-duty squad of MIT police officers arrived moments later to find Shin engulfed in flames.

Using fire extinguishers, the officers put out the flames just as the Cambridge Fire Department (CFD) arrived.

Shin was rushed to the hospital.

The seven officers were treated for smoke inhalation and released.

The Boston Globe reported Wednesday that MIT police were investigating the incident as a suicide.

The police would neither confirm nor deny that report to the Crimson. A spokesperson for the CFD told the Crimson the department had reached no conclusions in the case.

In March, Chris Millard, a former MIT student, died from injuries he sustained after falling from the roof of a campus building. Police ruled the death a suicide.

In August, an MIT senior was found dead after overdosing on drugs.

Members of the MIT press office were not available for comment.

Students in Shin's dorm say they are devastated by their friend's death. Contacted this weekend, many said they were too upset to talk.

MIT President Charles M. Vest said in a press release the campus was "heartsick" about Shin's death.

"She was a bright, promising young woman, and the tragedy of her death is felt throughout MIT," he continued.

"Over the past few days there has been a tremendous outpouring of support and concern for her from the community, and especially from her fellow students," Vest said, "but only time can ease the grief that we feel. We are in mourning."

MIT will hold a memorial service at a date to be determined.