Athlete of the Week: Abeles Knocks Two Out of the Park for Softball

By Derek J. Kaufman, Contributing Writer

As a pre-med English concentrator, senior Deborah Abeles has demonstrated a passion for and commitment to helping people. Her play on the diamond last week certainly helped to carry the Harvard women's softball team to an undefeated Ivy League record.

The Crimson shortstop has been a consistent defensive player in her four years on the varsity squad, but it is her powerful hitting that has earned her the spotlight this week. With two home runs in four Ivy games, Abeles lifted Harvard (11-17, 4-0 Ivy) past the defending conference champion Cornell and broke open the game against Yale last Saturday.

Her dramatic game-winning blast off of Cornell's Nicole Zitarelli gave the Crimson some much-needed confidence for the upcoming slate of conference games. The team had been struggling before the Cornell game, partly due to the tough schedule against several nationally ranked opponents.

The win at Cornell was a turning point in the season, as the entire team stepped up this weekend to sweep Brown and Yale. Abeles' veteran leadership on the talented young group has been nearly as invaluable as her big hits.

"She has the ability to lead her teammates while playing well herself," senior Ghia Godfree said. "She leads by example and always gives 100 percent."

Abeles' home run in the Yale game on Saturday set the tempo for the weekend and resulted in a 10-3 victory over the rival Bulldogs. The team followed her lead, exploding for 27 runs this weekend, including a 12-2 rout of Brown on Sunday.

The senior's offensive production this week is no hot streak, however. She has been one of the most consistent sources of offense for the team for four years, shattering five Harvard records. Among others, Abeles holds the record for career home runs and RBI.

"She's one of the most inspirational players that I've ever played with," Godfree said. "She comes up with big plays when we need them and always seems to perform well under pressure."

With a six-game homestand coming up for the team, Abeles will be able to add to her resume of statistics as the Crimson tries to maintain its perfect conference record.

Because of her remarkable clutch performances this week against Cornell and Yale, Deborah Abeles has earned recognition as The Crimson's Athlete of the Week.