Fifteen Minutes: fifteen date spots

1. Get out. The key word for spring is outside. Anything outside. For low budget romance, try a blanket and
By Catharina E. Lavers

1. Get out. The key word for spring is outside. Anything outside. For low budget romance, try a blanket and a picnic basket. Broadway Market or Cardullo’s always carry yummy picnic supplies. Fly-by is always another option, but don’t expect a second date. If Harvard Yard tourists kill the mood, Boston Common or the beaches are always a good bet (try Carson’s). The added perk: when conversation goes dead, you can always people watch.

2. Set sail with Boston Harbor Cruises. For between $8 and $28 a person, head out on a whale watch or ferry over to the Boston Harbor Islands. Try the sunset whale watch, but dress warmly—or plan on close cuddling with your date. Never the same experience twice, cruising around Boston Harbor or down to the Cape will get you points for creativity. Beware seasickness, a definite turnoff. And remember, once the boat leaves the dock you two are committed for at least a few hours, so your date can’t get away.

3. Play tourist. Trade your pride for a camera. Go on a Ducktour, head to the top of the Pru, see the U.S.S. Constitution. Just don’t tell anyone you go to Harvard.

4. Go Xtreme. Do something radically different and test your date’s wild side. Go hang gliding or skydiving (contact Nick Grossman of the Harvard Skydiving Cult for times and locations). If you want the high without the risks, try hot air ballooning. These activities can be taxing on both your wallet and your ego. Don’t even suggest it if you can’t follow through. If you wuss out, forget about another date, and all you’ll have to remember of the day are lingering credit card bills.

5. Head to Ptown for the alternative. Easily accessible by bus, train or even water shuttle, P-town is the northeast’s version of South Beach (a la The Birdcage). If scoping out the divas isn’t enough, P-town also offers off-the-wall shops and a lively harbor.

6. Listen Up. Outdoor concerts follow the warm weather. Check out FM listings or the Boston Phoenix for specifics, but as the weather warms up Boston’s venues fill with national and local bands. Try the Fleet Center Pavilion for outdoor shows in May.

7. Play ball! Or maybe just watch. The bleachers, the songs, the snacks, the rowdy fans—Fenway is always an adventure. But grab a bite to eat beforehand because not everybody loves ballpark franks. If you don’t know who Pedro is, be sure to brush up on your player stats before embarrassing yourself.

8. Go reception hopping. Not for the shy, crashing weddings and bar mitzvahs can be a great way to get some champagne, good food and lots of laughs. Get gussied up in black tie and head to Boston’s prime reception venues—try the Copley for starters. See how your date limbos under pressure, but be careful. When you get busted (and you will), try to back out as gracefully as possible...

9. Embrace the sappiness. Weeks Bridge and the Charles River are always good fallbacks when you’re low on cash and time. For all their cheesiness, picture-postcard walks along the river can be a good time to talk and figure out the real scoop on your date. Be careful though, with a bad date this excess one-on-one time can turn painful. But when the spark fizzles, you can always ditch and run home on a moment’s notice.

10. Up your ante. Foxwoods, Connecticut’s sprawling casino resort, boasts roulette tables, dancing and plush hotel rooms. Make sure you set a limit on your spending before you head out, or your wallet will feel it the next day. Foxwoods is best as an overnight trip, so bring clean underwear.

11. Place your bets. Ride the Blue Line to the Wonderland Race Track (284-1300). The greyhound races attracts serious betters, bored housewives and curious college kids. Even Matt Damon, class of 1993, and Minnie Driver did it. Insider tip: look to the old, balding men for betting advice.

12. Clown around. The Big Apple Circus is in town until the end of May. Be a little kid for the day and piss off stuffy parents. Let your date see your care-free side and grab a beer to wash away the taste of stale cotton candy.

13. Hit the water. Take advantage of the Chuck’s improved water quality grade, and spend a few hours sitting hip to hip with your date in a dinghy. If you fall in, you’ll have to sit even closer to warm each other up. Harvard-Radcliffe Sailing Pavilion (495-3434), by MIT/Kendall on the Red Line and Community Boating (523-1038), just over the “Salt and Pepper Bridge,” both provide boats and instruction for a fee. Call ahead for details.

14. Make it a mellow night. Jazz clubs and lounges—try Ryles or Regatta Bar—provide a laid-back atmosphere with decent music and good drinks. Break out of the Square and Lansdowne circuit to explore the smooth side of Boston’s nightlife.

15. Drink Up. Take a tour of Boston’s numerous breweries. Sam Adams, Tremont Ale and Harpoon offer the chance to get samples and learn about the brewing process. If this date bombs, at least you can impress future potential dates around the keg.