NATO Secretary-General Addresses Select Gathering at Faculty Club

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

The Secretary-General of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) paid a visit to Harvard yesterday--announced publicly only by the arrival of a large motorcade that parked outside Lamont Library.

The Secretary-General, Lord George Robinson of Port Ellen, gave a luncheon speech to a small gathering of Harvard scholars, including University President Neil L. Rudenstine, at the Faculty Club.

Robertson is on a multi-city tour of the U.S., and today's stops included Boston.

"He managed to take a couple of hours to come speak here," said Patricia L. Hughes, program coordinator for the center for international affairs.

She declined to comment on the speech itself, saying it was a "closed, off-the-record" talk.

Professors who attended described the speech as "wide-ranging."

"Most of the speech focused on NATO's relations with Russia," said one professor, who asked not to be identified.

In his 20-minute speech, Robertson covered topics ranging from NATO expansion to various other post-Cold War subjects.

"You know, it was the issues you read about in the paper," a professor said.

University Marshal Richard M. Hunt, who handles dignitaries' visits, could not be reached for comment yesterday afternoon.

Robertson's visit was sponsored by the Fellows Program at the Weatherhead Center and Olin Institute.

Robertson, who was given a life peerage by the British government in 1999, served as a member of parliament in Britain for 20 years before being appointed to NATO's top post last fall.