Deborah Abeles: Fierce and Friendly

By Derek J. Kaufman, Crimson Staff Writer

This June, amidst the pomp and circumstance of Harvard's annual commencement ceremonies, softball co-captain Deborah Abeles will proudly receive her diploma with a degree in English. After four years on the diamond, she is prepared for any curveballs that life after college may throw at her.

She certainly handled well all the curveballs thrown at her in college.

Over the past four years, the infielder has set nearly every hitting record for the softball team. As a freshman in 1997, Abeles blazed onto the scene and nabbed Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors with a league-best 37 RBIs, while leading the team in triples, RBIs, runs, and homeruns.

Not a bad start for someone who might have chosen not to play softball at all.

Doctor Abeles

At Flintridge Prep in California, Deborah excelled in softball, soccer, and volleyball, lettering in all three sports in her four years of high school. In fact, she tried out for the women's soccer team as a freshman and advanced to the final cuts before deciding to focus her efforts on softball.

"I enjoyed playing soccer in high school, so it was definitely tough to give up," Abeles says. "But once I got here, I knew it would be tough to keep up academically while playing two sports. Some people do it, and I think it's pretty amazing."

Despite her modesty and reluctance to play a second sport, Abeles has never backed down from a challenge. As an English/pre-med concentrator, Abeles' academic career has proven to be as challenging as her battles on the diamond. Most of her elective courses have been devoted to pre-med requirements, and she will still need to finish up some courses before taking her MCATs and applying for medical school.

"I guess I chose English, because I love to read books," Abeles quips with a smile. "As a freshman, I went to the pre-med meeting, and they recommended that we concentrate in something we truly love, since it might be our last opportunity to take such classes. I'm not really much of a pure science person, and I knew I'd get a lot of that in medical school."

Despite the rigorous academic schedule, Abeles continued to impress coaches and wreak havoc on opposing pitchers during her sophomore and junior seasons. She earned a coveted spot on the First Team All-Ivy League as a sophomore and led the Crimson in seven different offensive categories, including batting average, hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, slugging percentage, and homeruns.

Against Ivy rivals, Abeles torched the competition, going a perfect 7-for-7 at the plate in a double-header against Yale last year and hitting a game-winning homerun in a 1-0 win over Cornell this season.

Leading By Example

In her seamless transition from rookie standout to veteran leader, Abeles never became complacent with her performance or that of the team. Unlike the daily changes in Cambridge weather, Deborah's play has become the standard of consistency, despite enduring numerous injuries. A wrist injury hampered her during the NCAA playoffs this year, and she hurt her shoulder sophomore season.

But the pain only spoiled her pleasant demeanor when she steps between the white lines. Nobody competed more fiercely than Abeles.

"She's showed how much heart she has by playing through injuries and coming through in the clutch all the time," junior catcher Mairead McKendry says. "Not even fractured wrists, or sprained thumbs can hold Deb back for long."

Undoubtedly, Abeles has proved herself to be one of Harvard's most talented female athletes, but her ability to raise the level of play of her teammates has perhaps been her most invaluable contribution to the softball team. Under her leadership the past four years, the team has gone 39-7 against Ivy League competition and taken two conference championships.

"Her contributions to the program have been unmatched. She has raised the standards for Harvard softball, has had an incredible impact on the team, and done a tremendous job as a leader," Coach Jennifer Allard says. "She's done a great job keeping the team motivated and focused this year."

Teammates echoed Allard's sentiments and applauded Abeles for her leadership and positive influence on the team. She has been able to transfer her intensity and work ethic to younger players with a quiet yet powerful leadership style. Rather than pumping the team up with boisterous pre-game pep talks, she and co-captain Ghia Godfree simply performed with an infectious poise under pressure.

The team has reacted and gained the confidence to become a powerful force in the Ivy League, garnering respect from all for its gritty and determined play.

"She is always hustling during practice, talking it up during games, and she really sets the tone for the rest of the players," McKendry says. "Her love for the game is immeasurable and because of her outrageous work ethic, she pushes the rest of us towards success. She is an amazing leader, sets a great example for the rest of the team, especially the newcomers, and is encouraging and helpful out on the field."

"She is always the first one out on the field and the last one to go home," Godfree says. "Deborah's dedication inspires the rest of us to run faster, hit harder, and play better."

Godfree and Abeles not only share the role of captain on the softball team but a history of competition extending back to their high school years. They attended rival high schools, competing for local bragging rights in both softball and soccer.

"As an opponent, I had an immense respect for Deborah's athletic abilities," Godfree says. "Every time she came up to bat, I knew that there was a good chance that she would hit the ball out of the park."

While they shared a mutual respect on the playing fields, however, the two never really established the friendship until they both ended up at Harvard. As teammates and friends, Godfree found out that her once feared competitor would become one of her most trusted friends.

"While I value Deborah as an indispensable member of the Harvard Softball team, I am most thankful for the care and support that Deborah has given me the past four years," Godfree says. "I can always count on Deborah to listen, offer wise advice, and make me laugh."

Saying Goodbye

Considering what she has given to the softball program over the past four years, Harvard should be indebted to her for years, but Abeles is incredibly grateful what softball has contributed to her life. Deborah carries herself with the same lack of pretension as your average freshman.

"Deborah has been a joy to coach, since she's the type of player that basically coaches herself," Allard says. "She always comes in early for practice and probably has the best work ethic on the team."

Her contagious smile has made her a favorite throughout Quincy House, especially the kitchen staff. She made sure to exchange pleasantries with the chef even after a grueling day of practice in preparation for the NCAA Regionals.

"Softball has been a great way to get a break from academics," Abeles says. "Also, I've met such an awesome group of people, which has definitely made it all worthwhile."

In less than a month, however, Deborah's career will be left in the Harvard record books and the stories passed along from Allard and younger teammates. Though professional softball is certainly an option for the perennial First Team All-Ivy League infielder, Abeles plans to return to California and work towards medical school.

The break from softball will also give Abeles the chance to pick up some old hobbies. She was forced to give up the cello, an instrument she has played since the third grade, due to a shoulder injury her sophomore year, and she has not been able to play much due to her hectic practice and game schedule on top of a full class load.

"I really do miss it. I haven't played in about two years, though, so I might be a little rusty" she jokes.

Nearly everyone on the team has a story to tell. Memories abound, making her clutch performances and awesome displays of power virtually legendary. The team will not only miss her tenacity and courage on the field, but also her presence in the locker room and magnetic personality.

"Deborah is one of the finest young women that I have ever coached," Coach Allard says. "She's a strong, hard-working, and talented individual all wrapped into one."

"She's been an inspiration to play with and it will be difficult to fill her shoes, but the impression she's left with Harvard softball gives next year's captains a great example to follow," McKendry says.

Abeles and company capped an already outstanding career with a trip to the NCAA Regional playoffs last week but fell short against Northwestern and Oklahoma in the double-elimination tournament. Hampered by a nagging wrist injury, Abeles struggled both on the field and at the plate in the two games. She managed to play through the pain and provide an emotional spark to the team, but her potent offense and sound defense were certainly missed.

Though frustrated by the team's quick exit from the playoffs, Abeles career will endure as the standard of excellence for years to come. As she receives her diploma and embarks upon the next challenges in her young life, you can be sure that she will approach life with the same fervor and passion that she exhibited on the field over the past four years.