4 Years of Harvard: 1971-1975

SEPTEMBER 1971

1,556 members of the Class of 1975 (1,220 Harvard men, 336 Radcliffe women) arrive in Cambridge, at the same time as Harvard's 25th president, Derek C. Bok. New photo identification cards make their debut on campus.
27 - Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) speaks to the College, urging students to "shake off your lethargy" and continue to protest American involvement in Vietnam.

OCTOBER 1971

1 - Ernest Gruening '06, former United States Senator from Alaska, says Daniel Ellsberg '52 "should be given the equivalent of a Congressional medal of honor" for releasing the Pentagon Papers to the press.
4 - The University releases an affirmative action plan to comply with Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) regulations. Although increasing the number of minority employees, the plan draws criticism for keeping the hiring of women at a constant level.
5 - In his first major move as President, Bok lowers the male-female ratio for the Class of 1976 from 4 to 1 to 2.5 to 1.
14 - The Board of Overseers agrees to confer Harvard degrees to Radcliffe students who graduated before 1963.

NOVEMBER 1971

1 - The FBI begins questioning Laurence H. Tribe '62 and other Harvard Law School professors about their criticisms of President Richard M. Nixon's list of Supreme Court nominees. Within a month, President Bok and Dean of the Law School Albert M. Sacks write to the U.S. Attorney General, asking him to call off the FBI probe.
12 - Nixon announces increasing numbers of troop withdrawals in Vietnam.
21 - Harvard downs Yale in an embarrassing 35-16 win at New Haven.

DECEMBER 1971

10 - The Senate approves the appointment of William H. Rehnquist to the Supreme Court, despite a Dec. 2 letter written by Tribe and 20 law other school professors questioning Rehnquist's competency.
14 - The Harvard Lampoon, a semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization that used to publish a so-called humor magazine, admits its first two female members.

JANUARY 1972

3 - Harvard food services begin to offer soybean omelets and other vegetarian alternatives in several dining halls.
19 - The Cambridge School Committee dismisses Superintendent of Schools Frank J. Frisoli '35, triggering several small fires, false alarms and bomb scares in local public schools.
25 - Nixon announces that secret negotiations have been taking place between Henry A. Kissinger '50 and North Vietnamese officials, but that the talks ceased when Hanoi stopped sending its representatives, citing "illness" as an excuse.

Recommended Articles