Harvard Confers Degrees, Honors on Graduates

By Joyce K. Mcintyre, Crimson Staff Writer

President Neil L. Rudenstine will confer a total of 5,580 diplomas during today's 349th Commencement exercises.

The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny skies with a high around 75 degrees for the morning ceremonies.

Of the degrees awarded today, 1,580 will be given to undergraduates by the College. For the first time this year, undergraduate women will graduate from Harvard College only and will not have an additional signature on their diploma from the President of Radcliffe College.

Of the degrees awarded at today's lunchtime ceremonies, 1,569 will be bachelor of arts degrees (A.B.) and 11 will be bachelor of science (S.B.) degrees.

Of this year's bachelor degree recipients, 873 are male and 707 are female.

Seventy-nine students will graduate summa cum laude and 565 will graduate magna cum laude. Three hundred and ninety one will graduate cum laude in a field of concentration and the College will award cum laude general studies degrees to 375 students. Non-honors degrees will be awarded to 160 students.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will award 267 doctorates of philosophy (Ph.D.), 203 master of arts degrees (A.M.) and 28 master of science (A.S.) degrees in Sanders Theatre.

And just up Garden Street in Radcliffe Yard, the Graduate School of Education will confer 513 master of education (Ed.M.) and 52 doctor of education (Ed.D) degrees and eight certificates of advanced study.

In front of the Business School's Aldrich Hall, 876 students will receive masters degrees in business administration (M.B.A.) and three students will be awarded doctorates in business administration (D.B.A).

The Law School will award 552 doctorates of law (J.D.), 151 masters of law degrees (L.L.M.) and 11 doctorates of juridical science (S.J.D.) at its exercises in Holmes Field.

The Kennedy School of Government is scheduled to graduate 424 students, according to the registrar's office. Two hundred and four will receive a one-year master of public administration (M.P.A.) degree, 134 will receive a master of public policy (M.P.P.) and 86 will receive two-year M.P.A. degrees.

On the front lawn of Andover Hall, the Divinity School will confer 102 master of theological studies (MTS) degrees, 53 master of divinity (M.Div.) degrees, seven master of theology (Th.M.) and four doctor of theology (Th.D.) degrees.

Across the river on the Medical School's Longwood Campus, 161 students will receive doctor of medicine (M.D.) degrees and eight will receive master of medical sciences (M.M.Sc.) degrees.

The Graduate School of Design will award 90 master of architecture (M.arc.) degrees, 28 master of landscape architecture (M.L.A.), 39 master of design studies (M.D.S.) degrees, 19 master of architecture in urban design (M.A.U.D.) degrees, 14 master of urban planning degrees (M.U.P), three master of landscape architecture in urban design (M.L.A.U.D.) degrees and seven doctor of design (D.D.) degrees.

At the School of Public Health, 149 master of public health (M.P.H.) degrees, 120 master of science (M.S.) degrees, 28 doctor of science (D.S.) degrees and one doctor of public health (D.P.H.) degree will be conferred.

The School of Dental Medicine will award 37 clinical specialty certificates and 28 doctor of dental medicine (D.M.D.) degrees, 12 master of medical sciences in oral biology (M.M.Sc.) degrees and 2 doctor of medical sciences in oral biology (D.M.Sc.) degrees.