M. Volleyball Leaps, Bounds To New Heights

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

A .500 program for the last few years. Key players deciding to sit out for the season. A new coach acclimating to a team of everything from battle-tested veterans to walk-ons.

Common knowledge dictates that the above ingredients would never belong to a recipe for success. However, the men's volleyball team proved common knowledge wrong this season, as it posted its most successful season in seven years behind the guidance of second-year Coach Tom Wilson.

The Crimson finished 12-6 overall, stormed its way to the quarterfinals of the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (EIVA) Tournament, and dominated with an 8-2 record in EIVA league play en route to winning the Odeneal Divisional Crown.

At the outset of the season, though, all of these accomplishments seemed a distant dream.

"Coming into the season, some key players from last year's team decided not to play and I didn't have high expectations for this team," said senior outside hitter Joe Herger. "Although this team at the outset was the least talented team in my four years, it was the most hard-working, dedicated and mentally tough team."

Indeed, the Crimson began the season as a mentally immature team. A good example of this lack of mental toughness was an early match against Springfield College in which Harvard lost the lead and collapsed.

As the season wore on, however, the Crimson's confidence solidified and the mental maturity of the players allowed Harvard to win close matches and overcome large deficits. At MIT, for instance, Harvard was down in the match 1-0 and 2-1, and it trailed in the fifth game before rallying for a dramatic win.

"Something happened after that MIT match early in the season," said freshman setter Mike Bookman. "It was a cohesion between all the players that yielded incredible results. And once we found that chemistry, we put our name on the map."

After MIT, Harvard never lost a match when it went to a fifth and deciding game, thus evincing its gritty resolve.

The primary reason the Crimson found this state of fierce competitive determination was the leadership of Herger and co-captain and middle blocker Ed Pankau. Herger and Pankau, who were voted MVPs of the season by the team, ended their careers as two of Harvard volleyball's all-time best players.

"Ed and Joe will be sorely missed, and they have done so much for the team," said junior co-captain Justin Micomonaco. "But I am confident that, with Coach Wilson at the helm, we will not miss a beat next year."

Not missing a beat would mean matching the successes of this storybook season and improving upon the few disappointments--such as failing to wrest the Ivy League title from Princeton.

"I do not want to graduate having never beaten Princeton, and I feel like next year will be our turn," Micomonaco said.

In addition, Harvard will attempt to master a new slate of teams, since its Odeneal Division title qualifies the Crimson for the Hay Division. With two decisive wins this season over Queens, a perennial Hay powerhouse, Harvard demonstrated that there is reason for optimism next season.

Leading Harvard next year as co-captains will be Micomonaco and sophomore middle blocker Justin Denham.

Micomonaco, a biology concentrator who hails from Sault Saint Marie, Ontario, was a walk-on last year after having played hockey his freshman year. He was named co-captain and most improved player after the 1999 campaign.

Denham, an archaeology concentrator from Camarillo, Calif., saw limited action last year but was a powerful offensive and defensive presence in the middle for the Crimson this past season.

With the improvement of current players and the addition of talented recruits from Puerto Rico and Wisconsin, the Crimson has reason to be optimistic about the future of men's volleyball at Harvard.

"It is an exciting time for Harvard volleyball," Denham said. "This decade could be our time, and what a time it could be."