HUDS Loses Chowder Contest, Gains Following

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

When it comes to its academics and endowment, Harvard is used to being at the top of its game. But in a competition for "Boston's Best" clam chowder this past weekend, Harvard's offerings fell a little short.

Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) competed in the Boston Chowderfest Sunday--drawing mostly positive reviews from the judges, but failing to place in the top three.

"We had a great fan base," said Crista Martin, HUDS publications and communications coordinator. "A lot of people were very complimentary."

The 19th annual contest--which pitted local restaurants and clam chowder makers against each other--was among the many activities in Boston over the long Fourth of July weekend. This was the first year that HUDS attended.

Despite the non-winning bid, HUDS Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications Alexandra McNitt said HUDS' chowder developed a loyal following.

"People were coming back with mugs to take some home," she said.

While HUDS officials said they were proud of their efforts, McNitt said she was disappointed that Harvard did not place in the top three.

"We felt like we were really strong contenders," McNitt said. "With all of the positive feedback, we thought we really had a chance of taking at least second or third [place]."

Martin said HUDS competed well with established restaurants.

"We feel like we serve restaurant quality food, and this was an opportunity to show Boston how we serve Harvard," Martin said.

Since posters and brochures in Annenberg Hall advertised Harborfest weekend activities, Harvard students made up a large contingent of supporters, sometimes having to speak on behalf of HUDS.

"There were Harvard students all over the place," McNitt said. "People started asking them 'Is this the chowder they really serve you?' and they would say it was."

Rehana E. Gubin '02 went to the Chowderfest with three other summer school proctors.

"They weren't necessarily the best, but they had a great setup," Gubin said. "They were better than some restaurants, and they definitely had the most spirit."

Captain Parker's Pub from Cape Cod took first place at the event.

"Everybody who was there had great chowder," said Michael Nardone, an employee of Captain Parker's Pub. "[Harvard's chowder] was really good."