West Cancels Af Am Course and Takes Leave

By Lisa B. Schwartz, Crimson Staff Writer

Students hoping to enroll in the always popular Afro-American Studies 10: "Introduction to Afro-American Studies" arrived at Lowell Lecture Hall yesterday to find that it would not be offered this semester.

The course, ordinarily taught by Fletcher University Professor Cornel West '74, was cancelled because West has taken a one-year leave of absence for medical and personal reasons.

But the change was not included in the Courses of Instruction supplement handed out to students at registration. Arlene Becella, the registrar, said that her office was "informed quite late about the cancellation and it was after the supplement had already gone to press."

The registrar's office posted the news of the cancellation on its website, www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu.

There was no sign or notice posted outside the classroom, however, to inform students that the course, nicknamed "Af-Am 10," would not be offered this semester.

"The class was packed, and we were all sitting around waiting," said Kristen H. Day '01. "We didn't know what was going on."

The course usually enjoys widespread popularity. Last year, 314 students were enrolled in the class, Becella said.

Becella said this type of cancellation is highly unusual.

"I have been here four years and this is the first time it has happened," she said.

Professor of Afro-American Studies and of Philosophy K. Anthony Appiah, who is the head tutor for the Afro-American studies department, said "the news was too late to organize the class for this semester, but we will make sure that it is taught next semester."

Appiah said that although the department has not decided who will be teaching the class in the spring, it will most likely be led collectively by several professors. Specific plans for the course will be discussed at the next meeting of department Faculty Sept. 26.

Seniors who were hoping to take the class with West said they were disappointed to hear that he will not be teaching the class this year.

"I was interested in the subject matter, but I was very excited about hearing Professor West lecture," said Royd Chung '01, one of the students who waited outside Lowell Lecture Hall yesterday. "I heard that he really makes the class."

Day said she was also upset to hear that she would not be able to take the class with West.

"Professor West was definitely a big attraction to the class, and I am not sure if I will be able to take it next semester," she said.

The course catalog also lists West as professor for Afro-American Studies 123z: "American Democracy," slated to be offered this spring. West will not be teaching that class either, Appiah said.