SSI Guard Found Not Guilty of Assault Charges

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

A Cambridge jury found a former out-sourced Harvard security guard not guilty yesterday of charges that he assaulted a DeWolfe student in March.

The jury deliberated for an hour yesterday afternoon, before clearing Errol Allen of one count of assault and battery.

"I feel very relieved," Allen said last evening. "This has caused me great pain."

Jesse S. Downs '00-'01 had filed a report with Middlesex County in April accusing Allen, then a guard for Security Systems Inc. (SSI), of assaulting her in the 20 DeWolfe St. laundry room.

Downs had alleged that the assault occurred on March 23. According to Downs, Allen approached her from behind, grabbed her upper left arm, then stumbled around in front of her.

Downs said in her April statement that Allen then stammered something "unintelligible," and she turned and walked away. She said she believed Allen was under the influence of drugs or alcohol--an assertion that apparently was vigorously denied at trial.

In yesterday's proceedings, presided over by Judge Brian Merrick, Downs testified for the prosecution while another SSI guard and Allen's wife, Sybil, testified in his defense.

Downs said she was disappointed by the verdict.

"Basically it was his word against mine. His denial was enough to cast reasonable doubt," she said.

Sybil Allen said last night that in her testimony she denied Down's allegation that her husband was intoxicated. Medications he was taking at the time prevented him from drinking at all, she said.

On the night in question Allen was "very sober and normal," Sybil Allen said in an interview.

The prosecution expressed regret over the verdict.

"While we're disappointed with the verdict, we're confident the jury carefully considered all the facts and circumstances of the case," said Anson Kaye, spokesperson for the Middlesex County District Attorney's office.

Allen is no longer employed by SSI--Sybil Allen said he was fired in April after the assault charge was filed. He is now working as an animal technician in downtown Boston and pursuing his high school equivalency degree.

Prior to yesterday's trial, Allen had been free on his personal recognizance, with orders from the court to stay away from Downs.

Sybil Allen said her family members plan to get on with their lives now that the trial is over.

"It is nice to have this behind us," she said.

The charges came amid other complaints last spring about SSI guards' conduct on campus, including that guards have poor communication skills and high rates of turnover.

At the time, the administration supported SSI and said all guards undergo a background check before they are allowed to work on campus.

"All the precautions that could've been taken have been taken," said Francis D. "Bud" Riley, Harvard's police chief.

Riley said in the spring that, aside from isolated incidents, he was pleased with the SSI guards' overall performance.

DeWolfe residents also firmly backed Allen.

"He was always very cordial and friendly," Marna Schutte '01 said in April. "I got a good impression for him because he was always studying."

Downs said she did not regret bringing charges against Allen despite the outcome.

"I'm glad I did it. I feel a little odd. A lot of people might have thought it was silly that I was filing charges," she said. "I thought it was very important to go through with the process. I did the right thing."

SSI did not return a request for comment late last evening.