M. Hockey Healthy For ECAC Play

By Michael R. Volonnino, Crimson Staff Writer

After a moderately successful trip to Colorado Springs, the Harvard men's hockey team is certainly glad to be home.

The Crimson (6-7-1, 5-3-1 ECAC) will attempt to break a four-game losing streak when it hosts Union (6-5-3, 5-2-1) tonight and then takes on No. 12 Rensselaer (9-4-1, 3-2-1) tomorrow. All of its losses were on the road against ranked opponents--the two most recent were a sweep by now-No. 4 Colorado College, 5-3, 3-0.

For the first time all season, Harvard is expected to dress a fully healthy lineup. Junior defenseman Graham Morrell is expected to return from injury while freshman Kenny Smith made a highly successful debut at C.C. The only question mark on the blueline is junior assistant capatin Pete Capouch, who suffered a mild concussion in the first period last Saturday.

Smith's productivity will be an especial boon to the Crimson's defense, which has kept senior netminder Oli Jonas very busy this year. Smith was a physical presence and played a very smart game. Only expected to play a few shifts per period, Assistant Coach Ron Rolston grew increasingly confident with him and by the end of Friday night's game, he was receiving minutes surpassed only by Capouch.

Moreover, Harvard will be able to roll four full offensive lines as well, with the return of junior winger Jeff Stonehouse to the lineup. The only weapon the Crimson will be missing is sophomore center Brett Nowak, who is representing the U.S. at the World Junior Championships in Russia.

In his absence, Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni has put together a dynamite second line comprised of freshmen wingers Tyler Kolarik and Tim Petit and sophomore center Dominic Moore.

The trio combined for six points in Harvard's 5-3 loss at C.C. and nearly all of its best scoring chances in the 3-0 shutout.