W. Soccer Hopes to Snap Three-Game Skid

Junior forward BETH TOTMAN says that the Crimson is still a great team despite its three-game losing streak.
By Brenda Lee, Contributing Writer

Looking to return to the win column after losing three straight games, the Harvard women’s soccer team hosts Hartford today. The Crimson (8-4, 3-2 Ivy) has slipped to No. 20 in the nation and fourth in the Ivy standings while the Hawks (13-3, 9-1 America East) defeated Northeastern 7-1 and lost 1-0 to Boston University last week. Harvard beat B.U. 5-1 earlier in the season.

Last season Harvard lost at Hartford 2-1 during the regular season but then upset the Hawks, 3-0, in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Harvard co-captain Colleen Moore was sidelined for the remainder of the season after tearing her ACL in the loss.

Longtime assistant coach Eva Bergsten has taken over coaching duties for Hartford this season following the departure of Mark Krikorian to lead the WUSA’s Philadelpia Charge last spring.

Hartford’s decisive victory over the Huskies was powered by the four-goal effort of junior Katharina Lindner, who set a new career-high in the process. Lindner has six goals and five assists this year, needing just one point to break into the all-time top-10 in scoring for Hartford.

Tending goal for the Hawks was sophomore Anne Lise Nilssen, who posted two saves in her 13th victory of the season.

Hartford began the year dropping two straight before running off a 12-game winning streak.

In contrast to the offensive output of Hartford in its last game, the Crimson enters today’s game scoreless in its past two games. After faltering against Ivy rival Princeton in a 2-1 overtime loss on Oct. 20 that snapped an eight-game winning streak, Harvard has seen its offensive attack sputter with consecutive 1-0 losses to UConn and Dartmouth.

“We’ve been working more on getting the forwards the ball at their feet and spreading the offense out more,” said junior forward Beth Totman. “We’re trying to get the ball in central to [sophomore midfielder] Katie Westfall and having her work the ball more because she has really good vision.”

Getting Westfall active in the middle of the field will be key for the Crimson since she has scored only one goal—on a penalty kick—this season after a rookie campaign that produced six goals.

The Harvard defense has been steady this year, keeping the team well within striking distance by allowing more than one goal in a game only twice this season, the only exceptions being the Princeton loss and the season opening 5-4 overtime loss to Colorado College.

Junior goalkeeper Cheryl Gunther will return to starting duties for the Crimson following a one-game suspension after being issued a red-card in the UConn game.

“Our defense has been exactly the reason we’ve had the success we’ve had thus far,” said co-captain Caitlin Costello. “Unfortunately, our offense hasn’t been giving them what they have been giving to us.”

Determined not to repeat last season’s finish of five consecutive losses, the Crimson has been working in practice to get its offense back on track.

“After the last three losses, it’s been frustrating,” Costello said. “But we’ve tweaked a couple of things so we’re coming after them with a little different style.”

With the Crimson is making adjustments to its attack, it remains optimistic for the season’s finish.

“The season’s not over, and we have three more games, including two Ivy league games,” Totman said. “We’re not just giving up. We’re still a great team and we’re going to rebound.”

The game begins at 2:30 pm at Ohiri Field.