Next Stop: The BSA Party

Get your freak on. Liz M. Santoro ’01 is now teaching a fresh and funky hip-hop class at the Dance
By C. L. Griggs

Get your freak on. Liz M. Santoro ’01 is now teaching a fresh and funky hip-hop class at the Dance Complex in Central Square.

The ballerina-turned-hip-hop teacher has been offering the class since the Oct. 3, and draws on her experience from the casual dance classes that she taught at Harvard before she graduated last June. As an undergraduate, Santoro danced with Expressions and co-directed the Harvard Ballet Company her last three semesters. Like a scene straight out of “Save the Last Dance,” Santoro explains how she danced with the Boston Ballet School for 11 years, but began to break out of her classical training as she developed a love of hip hop and modern at Harvard. “I love ballet, but it’s so boring,” Santoro said. Now, abandoning thoughts of medical school, she has decided to pursue a career as a professional modern dancer.

But the crowd at Santoro’s class is hardly professional. Many of the hip-hop attendees are area college kids looking to pick up some new moves. In fact, the class has recently been dominated by Harvard students, historically known for their hip-hoppin, ass-shakin’ abilities. Ryan G. White ’04 and Rory S. Donald ’04 are taking a proactive stance to ameliorate their lack of rhythm and admit that they come to Santoro’s class to learn steps they can bust out at parties. “Dancing is important at parties,” said Donald, adding, “Girls like a good dancer.” Simply put, White says he comes because “I just want to get my grind on.”

The class begins with a few warm ups followed by a big ab workout. The rest of the class covers a few simple moves and combinations culminating in one long routine. Santoro’s choreography is energetic and her teaching style is relaxed and encouraging. No previous dancing experience is required to take the class because the difficulty is minimal. The atmosphere is casual; it’s just the right place for individuals of any talents looking to become a Beyoncé.

For all the potty mouths out there, Santoro’s music selection is limited to the clean stuff. “It’s really hard to find music that’s not offensive,” said Santoro. But the tone of the class stays funky and upbeat with tunes from Eve, The Roots, Salt N Pepa, and Tribe Called Quest. She’s even known to break out a little Britney.

The classes are held every Wednesday from 4 to 5:30 at the Dance Complex–536 Mass Ave, Central T stop. It costs $10 per class or $80 for a 10 class card. So check it out, sweat it up, and tear it up at that party with some new moves.

For The Moment