Room-ination

Finding a meditative moment in between midterm studying, paper-writing and committee-chairing is difficult for most students. Searching for a nearby
By A. A. Prabhu

Finding a meditative moment in between midterm studying, paper-writing and committee-chairing is difficult for most students. Searching for a nearby peaceful place should not pose yet another obstacle.

Putting aside all of the urgent demands to feed that part of you that you draw upon when you are having trouble, is one of the hardest activities for students to manage, says Nava Ashraf, a resident tutor in Mather House. Through her conversations with Matherites and others, Ashraf realized that in addition to time constraints students are also limited by a shortage of appropriate space where they would feel comfortable meditating or praying.

Ashraf recalls a talk last April with John A. Hulsey 03-04, then a Mather sophomore, where they both expressed concern that the House community did not provide space to pray, reflect, meditate or generally relax. Ashraf also heard from students who pointed out the lack of options for people who are unsure about their ties to organized religions and would feel uncomfortable praying at Memorial Church. Her idea for a multi-faith meditation room came from Ashrafs own affiliation to the Bahai faith which supports Bahai centers with prayer rooms where people of all faiths are welcome to pray. Co-Masters Sandra Nadaff 75 and Leigh Hafrey 73 were supportive, as were many of the resident tutors when Ashraf expressed her interest in creating a similar interfaith area at Mather.

With space already at a premium, progress in finding a spot for the Meditation Room was slower than Ashraf had hoped. However, after the events of Sept. 11 highlighted how valuable an interfaith spiritual space would be, the meditation room became a higher house priority and Ashraf secured a spot. Even so, with decorating decisions still to be made, the room is not slated to open until reading period in January. This is actually good timing, says Ashraf, because students will be able to access the meditation room during their times of greatest stress.

For The Moment