State Fires Logan Security Firm

By Ryan J. Kuo, Contributing Writer

The Massachusetts State Police revoked a major Logan Airport security firm’s license to operate in the state on Thursday, following a series of security mishaps at the airport since Sept. 11.

A police spokesperson cited recent security breaches as the reason for dismissing Argenbright Security, which has handled airport checkpoints for Delta Airlines, Delta Shuttle, U.S. Airways and America West at Logan. Last year, the company paid a $1 million fine for hiring convicted felons.

Col. John DiFava, the interim head of security at Logan who gave the order, said the breaches, including two lapses at Logan after Sept. 11, gave “ample cause” for barring the company from further operations at the airport.

On Tuesday, an Argenbright employee left an exit door unattended for four minutes, forcing 400 travelers to repeat security screenings.

“The company does have a track record, just here at Logan Airport, of one continual problem after another, and it flies in the face of what we’re trying to do here,” DiFava said at a press conference on Thursday. “And after Tuesday’s breach...enough is enough.”

Security at Logan has come under scrutiny since Sept. 11, when two hijacked planes from the airport were crashed into the World Trade Center.

Argenbright did not oversee security for either of the hijacked airliners.

Responding to charges that Logan’s operations had been undermined by personnel appointments guided more by patronage than qualifications, Acting Gov. Jane M. Swift has made a series of moves to tighten the airport’s security.

Nationally, the House and Senate passed a bill on Friday requiring that airport screenings to be overseen by federal employees.

Immediate replacements for Argenbright, which is expected to appeal its case, will be chosen by the affected airlines.

Argenbright will continue work at Logan during Thanksgiving, however, so operations during the busy holiday will not be disrupted.

In light of the Sept. 11 tragedy, Harvard students said they have mixed feelings about travelling for the holiday.

Many said it is their destinations, rather than the planes, that are a concern.

“You could take the risk or not take it at all,” said Winnie Fung ’04. She said she does not want to take the long flight home to Hong Kong, but abandoned plans to visit New York City because of recent events.

Mawuena M.M. Agbonyitor ’04 said she is concerned about flying to Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., which is close to several major monuments. But “as long as they’ve beefed up security at Logan,” she said, “[flying is] alright.”

Long Island native Kenneth Hung ’04, however, said he has no qualms about going home.

“I grew up looking at the World Trade Center from my aunt’s apartment. It’s going to be so different now, but there’s a feeling of safeness just being with family,” said Hung, who plans on visiting Ground Zero with relatives.

“You don’t have the feeling that something like that is going to happen again,” said Eugene Chislenko ’04, a New York City resident.

—Material from the Associated Press was used in the compiling of this article.