Cavanagh, Welch Lead Next Generation

By Alex M. Sherman, Crimson Staff Writer

A quick glance at the Harvard men’s hockey roster reveals one glaring truth: this year’s team is young.

Of the 26 players on the roster, 10 are sophomores and eight are freshmen. That amounts to 18 players with one year of varsity experience or less. It is clear that Harvard will rely on its youth to produce immediately.

Two players whom Coach Mark Mazzolini hopes will waste little time adjusting to college hockey are freshmen Noah Welch and Tom Cavanagh. Both will be thrown into varsity action from game one. With Harvard currently ranked as high as No. 8 in the nation—highest among any squad from the ECAC—the two freshmen will feel instant pressure to perform.

However, both should be more than prepared for the spotlight.

A Brighton, Mass. native, Welch was this year’s top NHL draft pick among those players selected from the ECAC. Chosen in the second round by the Pittsburgh Penguins with the 54th overall pick, Welch is also the highest selection of Harvard’s eight NHL draftees.

The 6’4 defenseman has professional size and led local St. Sebastian’s to the Independent School League (ISL) Championship as a senior in high school last year. Welch was named MVP of the ISL and is accustomed to big games; he played his final game for St. Sebs in front of more than 50 NHL scouts.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Harvard and the level of hockey here is very high—much faster paced than high school,” Welch said. “I would not have come here if I didn’t think playing for Harvard would prepare me for the NHL.”

Welch looked at Boston College, Boston University and Providence, before settling on Harvard. He said it was the strength of the Crimson’s coaching staff that eventually convinced Welch to come to Cambridge.

“Coach Maz and all the assistant coaches are easily the best in the area,” Welch said. “They pushed Harvard over the edge for me. They want to see their players reach the NHL because just being drafted means nothing. You need to perform in college, and I think this coaching staff can help me get to that level.”

Cavanagh was also taken in this year’s NHL draft. The San Jose Sharks plucked Cavanagh in the 6th round with the 182nd pick overall. The 5’11 center, originally from Warwick, Rhode Island, spent last season at Phillips Exeter, taking a post-graduate year before deciding on Harvard.

Long-time Harvard hockey patrons will likely recognize the Cavanagh name. The freshman’s father, Joe Cavanagh ’71, was a three-time Harvard All-American standout forward from 1969-71. He is Harvard’s all-time single season leader in assists, recording 50 during his senior year.

Dave Cavanagh ’72, Tom’s uncle, also played hockey for the Crimson.

“Given my family history, Harvard has been my first choice ever since I was a little kid,” said Cavanagh, who set the all-time single season goals-scored record at Exeter last year with 42. “My family and I would sometimes come up to Cambridge and watch the team, and we’d always watch whenever Harvard played Brown in Providence.”

Though Mazzolini has not yet assembled the Crimson’s lines for this season, Welch and Cavanagh will be seeing quite a bit of action. Welch could find himself playing alongside senior captain Peter Capouch at times, or he may be paired up with fellow freshmen Ryan Lannon or Jesse Lane. Welch and sophomore Kenny Smith, a third round choice by the Florida Panthers in last year’s draft, could make for a power packed unit. However Mazzolini decides, Welch has only positive words for his teammates.

“I’m really comfortable with all of the guys,” Welch said. “Capouch does a great job of keeping all of the guys together, and there are so many young guys on the team that we all can relate to each other really well. I’ve actually played with or against many of the guys on the team in some capacity or another before college, so we have good team chemistry.”

Cavanagh feels that despite his inexperience at the collegiate level, he will be ready for whatever challenge is presented.

“I feel no pressure at this point,” Cavanagh said. “I’m ready to go. I just want to get in there and contribute in any way I can.”

Cavanagh will back up junior Dominic Moore, Harvard’s leading scorer last season and All-ECAC candidate.

The next generation of Harvard hockey has arrived. You might as well get used to their names now, because Cavanagh, Welch and the many other young guns on the Crimson are going to be around for a while.

“We’ve got one major goal, and that’s to make it to the NCAA Tournament,” Cavanagh said. “If we can get that far, for the seniors, it will be an accomplishment worthy of our talent.”

The NCAA Tournament is legitimately in reach. Before the conclusion to these freshmen’s careers, an NCAA Championship may be realistic as well.