Candidates Party At End

BRIAN MURPHY '86-'87 (center) talks with campaign supporters at a victory party at Daedalus last night. Murphy finished second in the City Council race, ahead of most of the incumbents.
By Nicholas F. Josefowitz, Crimson Staff Writer

After a tough final day of campaigning, City Council candidates celebrated last night, partying hard while keeping an eye on incoming election results.

“It was a great day,” said incumbent Marjorie C. Decker. “The weather couldn’t have been better for an election.”

Over 50 people crowded into the Middle East restaurant in Central Square to celebrate the end of the campaign.

Decker worked the crowd, congratulating all those who helped in the campaign and reiterating her campaign pledges.

“This is the best election party in Cambridge,” said Robert M. Neer ‘86, a Decker fan.

When asked what she would do if she won, Decker laughed.

“I’m probably going to sleep at some point, which I haven’t done in six months,” she said. Unofficial results last night showed Decker finishing fifth among nine councillors elected.

Brian Murphy ‘86-’87, a first-time candidate, held his party on the top floor of Daedalus, where a room was adorned with green balloons and large cardboard “Brian Murphy Vote #1” signs. About five of the 20 people in attendance at the time wore Irish green Murphy T-shirts which were being given away free of charge.

“Brian’s extraordinary,” said Jim Marzilli, a state representative for Arlington and West Medford. “He ran a textbook campaign.”

When election results rolled in a few hours later, Murphy placed second.

John Pitkin, another first-time candidate, welcomed supporters to his post-election reception at his house on Fayette Street. Over 25 bare-footed people crowded into his recently refloored living room, sipping drinks and eating finger-food.

“I’ve had fantastic help,” Pitkin said. “I’m satisfied I’ve given my best effort.”

Unlike the other candidates, Pitkin said he would not be going down to the Cambridge Senior Center to receive the results. As Cambridge Election Commission officials went home for the night, he remained only a few votes behind Councillor Kenneth E. Reeves `72 in a battle for the final spot.

“I’m ambivalent about the whole thing,” he said. “I’m really in limbo. It’s very important for me.”

Council candidate E. Denise Simmons shied away from the limelight, choosing to stay with her mother in a nursing home for most of the night.

“She’s feeling comfortable, relaxed, a little nervous,” said Jada Simmons, her daughter. “I feel good about this election.”

About 35 people gathered in All Asia on Mass. Ave. to feast on a hot buffet. The mood was subdued as Simmons’ supporters continually glanced at the TV, waiting for the results to be broadcast.