Irish Leader Presses U.S. To Fight Terror Through U.N.

Irish Prime Minister BERTIE AHERN expresses new hope for Northern Ireland peace in an address at the Kennedy School last night.
By Nick Smyth, Contributing Writer

Speaking last night at the Kennedy School of Government, Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern hailed new hope in Northern Ireland and pushed for the United States to work closely with the United Nations in the global fight against Islamic terrorism.

“Peace does not rest in the charters and covenants alone. It lies in the hearts and minds of all people,” he said, quoting John F. Kennedy ’40. He encouraged the U.N. to work with the people of Afghanistan to ultimately create a new government there.

Ahern was elected Taoiseach (prime minister in Gaelic) of Ireland in 1997 and played a major role in the creation of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. His speech received two standing ovations.

When asked about Ireland’s stance of neutrality in world politics and President Bush’s remarks regarding terrorism, Ahern firmly condemned terrorist acts.

“Nobody can be neutral on terrorism and nobody should be neutral on terrorism. And that’s our position,” he said.

Ahern said he supported the U.S.’s war in Afghanistan but said that it was important for the U.N. to lead the fight on terrorism.

“We must rid the world forever of such attacks,” he said, “and we must put barriers in place to prevent terrorism.” He also spoke of two main focuses within Afghanistan—the humanitarian needs of the people and the political end—for which the U.N., he says, should play a huge role. “All of us in the international community share concerns for the people of Afghanistan,” he said.

Returning to the subject of Northern Ireland, Ahern spoke of 30 hard years in Ireland when every morning a political murder was the top news story, and pointless loss of life was the norm.

He said that the 1998 agreement changed the landscape on the “island of Ireland” forever. “Exclusive use of democratic processes and rejection of violence” have become the new way in the North, he said.

Ahern pointed out that under the Good Friday Agreement the people of Northern Ireland have the right to decide by majority if they ever want to join a united Ireland.

Great Britain has agreed to recognize that vote should it ever occur.

Ahern strongly praised the politicians involved in the process, including Sinn Fein leaders Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness. He condemned the minority who recently tried to block the process.

“There are those unfortunately who want to stop the agreement and return Northern Ireland to the past,” he said. “But we have moved on and there’s no going back.”

He acknowledged that the main obstacle to the peace process in the future is building enough “thrust and momentum,” but said he was optimistic that significant steps have been made this time.