Westfall Named All-American

By Brian E. Fallon, Crimson Staff Writer

Earlier this year, Harvard women’s soccer coach Tim Wheaton referred to a goal set up by sophomore midfielder Katie Westfall as a “world-class” play.

Now halfway through her Harvard career, Westfall has made enough of those kinds of setups that the adjective applies just as well to the player as the play.

Just days after she was named a First Team All-Ivy selection for the second year in a row, Westfall was selected as a Third Team All-American by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) last Friday. She was the only Ivy player named for the distinguished honor.

Westfall, who finished the season with two goals and seven assists, has 29 points so far in her career. With two years of college eligibility still remaining, she already ranks 21st on Harvard’s career scoring list, as well as 12th in the all-time assists category.

Westfall is the Crimson’s first All-American since Emily Stauffer ‘‘98-’99, who is now an assistant coach with the team. Westfall is also just the third-ever Harvard player to earn the honor as a sophomore.

The All-America recognition comes on the heels of the league honors bestowed on Westfall last week. Westfall was one of only two Harvard players to be named to both the All-Ivy First Team and the NSCAA Northeast Region First Team. Classmate Caitlin Fisher was the other.

Led by Westfall, Harvard finished the season with an overall record of 11-6, qualifying for the NCAA Tournament for the sixth straight year. In the opening round, the Crimson topped Hartford 1-0 in quadruple overtime, as Westfall assisted on Beth Totman’s game-winning goal.

Harvard’s season ended when the Crimson fell to regional nemesis UConn, 1-0, in the second round.