Our Heroes

Every week, FM depends on the efforts of other Crimson drones to get the job done. From shooting hoards of
By The CRIMSON Staff

Every week, FM depends on the efforts of other Crimson drones to get the job done. From shooting hoards of photos, to creating pages of design, FM relies on our “heroes” to reduce the pain and post-midnight madness that are our Tuesday nights. No matter what, a newsie stays up until dawn proofing the magazine. A business executive cold-calls schmultzy establishments to solicit ads. A design guru curses at the computer as InDesign crashes for the tenth time. And photo folks walk the streets, taking shots of boys in tie-dye, men in capes and bloody toenails in jars. FM’s demands for assistance across boards never cease. After all these years, we owe you.

James M. Schaffer

James is FM’s resident cutie. Always sweet and ready to work, James travelled the world this semester to help FM get the best photos possible. His constant happiness and willingness to help was a true blessing to the ever-stressed editors, chronically late with our photo assignments. James, too, embraced FM’s odd social culture, partaking the Pabst and the Heineken with record appeal.

Christine C. Yokoyama

Always perky and very tiny, Christine, who we affectionately call “Yokoyaaaaaaaama,” is the best designer around. Entering FM Land as a freshman, Christine flourished under the auspices of her wild, often drunk, editors. As the yelling and screaming about headlines and teasers surrounded her head, Christine took the eyedropper tool, the shaded box and the Futura font and went to town. Quicker than lightening, Christine is one of the most thoughtful, clever designers ever to “massage the text.” FM has no doubt that Christine will rise to graphic stardom.

Damien E. Williamson

If James is FM’s resident cutie, Damien is the hottie. This stunning man and his good cheer constantly add joy to the lives of FM’s editors. Next semester’s magazine photographer, Damien shows up at all hours to streamline photo shoots and offer his quiet, intelligent criticism. A bastion of calm, Damien shows us the qualities of a true team-player.

Robin S. Lee

Easily the most intelligent man in the Crimson, Robin’s grasp of content, design and the ever-elusive HTML goes beyond the call of human duty. Our impeccable creative director for a year under the reign of JYS, Robin still pitched in to make pub crawls, send spreads and consult on duotone while his gorgeous girlfriend crafted the mag. Meanwhile, he made The Crimson run smoothly due to his unmatched judgement and intellect.

K. Babi Das

Tripping around in tiny heels and tight skirts, Babi shows everybody that Business is the second most stylish board next to FM. Her effort with Scoped and Drinky-Drink surpassed anyone else’s pathetic appeals for “interboard communication.” Always selling ads especially for FM, Babi stayed faithful to all sections of the paper and never forgot us in her pursuit of Ad Manager fame. Due to her cold-calling prowess and stylistic superiority, we know Babi’s business guard will thrive as the reign of females continues. Get ready, Goldman.

Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan

Sugi, like Atlas, carries the world upon her shoulders. Ever weary, she continued to slash the pages of FM with a red pen while vehemently discussing the role of self-reference. Well, this time, you lose. This page has your face on it, Sugi. Self-reference returns to haunt you!

Stephen E. Sachs

The most neurotic proofer around, Steve will go to all ends of the earth to make sure FM’s proofs are perfect. And we sure appreciate it. One night, Steve literally looked up the international patent rules that covered a tiny graphic that he was unsure of. Luckily, we were legal. Steve, a PBK and a medieval history jock, will somehow get a free ride at either Oxford or Cambridge. Just because he’s that smart.

Nathaniel L. Schwartz

Everybody knows about Nate’s smile. His big, wide grin rocks our late nights and Nate is always ready to encourage us along. This Cambridge native knows his proofing stuff and always returned our pages with a smile and a bevy of helpful comments to boot. No matter where he goes, Nate will be a glowing presence in a stressful, sleepy workplace.

In The Meantime