Dartmouth, Penn Pose Biggest Threats To Harvard

By Jessica T. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Though the Crimson is the Ivy favorite in early season predictions, Harvard’s road through the league is far from bump-free. Harvard only has to look back to Feb. 17, the day the Crimson faced the Elis, to know that in the Ivy League, every game is anyone’s game. Yale came into the game with a 1-8 record, but managed to upset the Crimson in overtime, and Harvard’s championship hopes faded. Its experience against the last-place Elis proved one thing—there is no team in this league to sleep on.

“One of the great things in this league is that anyone can beat anyone in any game especially because you play back-to-back games,” said Harvard senior Jen Monti. “You can catch the top dogs any day. The Ivy League is pretty unique for that competitive aspect.”

Penn returns among the top competitors for the title after its astounding perfect trip to the crown last year, but Dartmouth boasts a roster that will be tough to beat. Going down the rest of the Ivy list, sharp-shooters, points guards, and rookies are stepping up everywhere in the league, creating a schedule of question marks for the Crimson.

Dartmouth

Coach: Chris Wielgus, 17th season (234-161)

Last Season: 12-15 (8-6 Ivy), T-3rd

Key Additions: Katie Frett, G, 6-0, Fr.; Laura Yasaitis, C, 6-3, Fr.; Michelle Strong, G, 5-7, Fr.; Yah Demann, F, 6-2, Fr.

Key Losses: Samantha Berdinka, G, 5-8 (8.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg); Sherryta Freeman, G, 5-9 (7.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg); Stephanie Kinnear, F, 5-10 (5.4 ppg, 4.3 apg)

Starting Five: Katherine Hanks, F, 6-1, Jr. (15.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg); Katie Skelly, F, 6-1, Jr. (9.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg); Jamie Librizzi, G, 5-11, So. (2.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg); Keri Downs, G, 5-4, Jr. (9.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg); Courtney Lewis, G, 6-0, So. (1.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg)

At a glance: The Big Green will be at the top of the Crimson’s list of competitors this season, returning its three leading scorers from last year—Hanks, Skelly, and Downs.

Hanks, a First Team All-Ivy selection last year and the Ivy Rookie of the Year her freshman year, looks to build on her outstanding performance last season. She led the league in blocked shots, took second in rebounding and in field goal percentage, and was third in scoring behind Harvard’s Hana Peljto and Penn’s Diana Caramanico.

“[Hanks] is just really talented,” said Harvard co-captain Katie Gates. “She has a really good turnaround jump shot and she’s a pretty smart player.”

Downs’ performance thus far has been outstanding. She was named last week’s Ivy Player of the Week after scoring a career-high 30 versus Colgate and adding 26 points against Vanderbilt. She is averaging 24.4 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. She led the Ivies with an 86.4 free-throw percentage last year, and continues to find success from the charity line, where she set a school record by hitting 25 straight foul shots. She is also a proven defensive force, as she led the Big Green with 33 steals last year.

“Dartmouth is always our big rival,” Monti said. “Even without as much talent as they’ve had in the past, they’ll find a way to stay right in it. Also, they always tend to get better as the season goes on.”

Sophomores Jamie Librizzi and Courtney Lewis round out a team that is already looking to the top of the league, as the Big Green begins the season with a 3-2 record.

Pennsylvania

Coach: Kelly Greenberg, third season (40-16)

Last Season: 22-6, 14-0 Ivy, 1st

Key Additions: Amanda Kammes, G, 5-7, Fr.; Maria DiDonato, G, 5-6, Fr.; Catherine Makarewich, G, 6-0, Fr.; Katie Kilker, C, 6-2, Fr.; Karen Habrukowich, G, 5-9. Fr.

Key Losses: Diana Caramanico, F, 6-2 (21.7 ppg, 10.0 rpg); Erin Ladley, G, 5-10 (13.0 ppg, 4.5 apg)

Starting Five: Ima Abia, F, 5-9, Jr. (1.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg); Jenn Jones, F, 6-0, Jr. (6.7 ppg. 4.0 rpg); Julie Epton, F, 6-0, Sr. (9.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg); Tara Twomey , G, 5-4, Jr. (4.6 ppg, 3.3 apg); Jewel Clark, G, 5-10, So. (8.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg)

At a glance: The Quakers are coming off of an historic season in which they earned their first Ivy title and NCAA berth in school history with a perfect league record. This year, Penn will try to fill the holes left by Ladley and Caramanico. Last year, the Quakers clinched their league championship on Crimson turf, with a five-point victory in which Ladley scored her 1000th point and Caramanico broke the Ivy scoring record of 2,312.

“I guess Penn has the pride of winning it last year,” said Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith. “So they’ll be hungry. Although their talent isn’t going to be quite the same, they have enough talent there that if someone could step up, they’ll be the team to beat.”

Second Team All-Ivy Epton will play a big role for the Quakers this year, after earning a starting spot in 20 of the last 21 games of last season.

Clark earned All-Ivy Rookie honors last season and has already stepped up her production this season, as she scored 23 points against La Salle on Nov. 20. Twomey, a returning starter, rounds out the Quaker guards.

Jones and Abia lead the way at the other end of the court. Abia’s rebounding ability will be called upon this year while Jones looks to stand-out after starting in all but one game over the last two seasons. Jones played a huge role in Penn’s two come-from-behind wins over Yale last year.

While the Quakers lose a significant portion of the talent that led Penn last year, it could still be strong enough to win another Ivy title.

Cornell

Coach: Marnie Dacko, seventh season (66-91)

Last Season: 15-12, 8-6 Ivy, T-3rd

Key Additions: Anne Schwieger, G, 5-0, Fr.; Lindsey Dean, G, 5-8, Fr.; Casey Manning, F, 5-10, Fr.; Jackie Buttitta, F, 6-0, Fr.; Sarah Lee, F, 6-2, Fr.

Key Losses: Katie Romey, G, 6-1 (10.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg), Jennifer Linker, F, 6-1 (8.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg)

Starting Five: Karen Force, G, 5-8, So. (8.7 ppg, 3.3 apg); Breean Walas, G, 5-6, Sr. (9.1 ppg, 3.2 rpg); Lynell Davis, F, 6-0, Jr. (6.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg); Lauren Kilduff, G, 5-10, So. (1.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg); Deborah Stevens, G, 5-9, Sr. (11.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg)

At a glance: Stevens played a significant role in bringing up Cornell’s dismal numbers after a 2-4 Ivy start, including a 61-58 defeat against Harvard at Lavietes.

She scored 30 points against Yale on Feb. 9, the beginning of the Big Red’s 6-2 Ivy record down the stretch, which included a 75-73 upset of Harvard at Cornell.

“Stevens is legitimately good,” Gates said. “She’s quick, fast, smart and she does what it takes for them to win. They have had an offensive system similar to ours—they have been running flex for the last few years.”

The last four Cornell Ivy victories during last season were by a total of just 13 points.

Walas will be counted on for her reliability as she has a .794 free-throw percentage—the best of any returning Ivy player.

Force earned a spot on the Ivy All-Rookie team last season, leading the team with 90 assists and 48 steals and making life difficult for opposing point guards.

Davis, who led Cornell with 6.3 rebounds per Ivy game, will step into the Big Red lineup as a starting power forward.

Despite Cornell’s poor performance in the beginning of league play last year, the Big Red fought to a third place finish.

With a better beginning, Cornell could be a team to reckon with for the league title. The Big Red will first come to Harvard on Feb. 9.

Princeton

Coach: Richard Barron, first season

Last Season: 2-25, 2-12 Ivy, 8th

Key Additions: Karen Bolster, G, 5-8, Fr.; Ashley Rook, F, 6-1, Fr.

Key Losses: Hillary Reser, G, 5-8 (5.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg); Jessica Munson, G, 5-8 (4.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg), Lee Culp, F, 5-11 (8.9 ppg, 6.9 ppg)

Starting Five: Karen Bolster, F, 5-8, Fr.; Lauren Rigney, F, 5-10, Sr. (5.3 ppg, 2.0 apg); Maureen Lane, F, 6-0, Jr. (14.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg); Kelly Schaeffer, G, 5-11, So. (1.9 ppg, 0.9 rpg); Allison Cahill, G, 5-6, Jr. (9.5 ppg, 3.5 ppg)

At a glance: Coach Barron may be the key for Princeton to have more success in the Ivies as Barron to turn his team around at Division Three University of the South where he had previously coached.

It helps that the Tigers return five players who started in at least 13 games last season, including its top two scorers in Lane and Cahill. Lane averaged 14.3 points per game and added 72 three-pointers to the Tigers’ offense last season.

Last season, Rigney led Princeton in assists, blocks, and steals, but she has made an even bigger impact for the Tigers so far this season. She has been averaging 13.8 points per game, improving on last year’s 5.3 average.

Aside from the veterans Princeton boasts this year, the rookie Bolster has come into collegiate basketball with quite a splash. Bolster set the Princeton women’s basketball record for most points in a career debut with 24—including seven three-pointers—against Lehigh on Nov. 16. The only Princeton basketball player to have ever done better was Bill Bradley in 1962, who scored 27 points in his first game.

Yale

Coach: Amy Backus, fourth season (20-34)

Last Season: 9-18, 4-10 Ivy, 7th

Key Additions: Tory Mauseth, F, 5-11, Fr.; Lindsay Page, F, 6-1, Fr.; Morgan Richards, G, 5-10, Fr.; Katherine Mardy, F, 6-1, Fr.; Andrea Kay, C, 6-3, Fr.

Key Losses: Lily Glick, C, 6-1 (7.1 ppg, 3.9 rpg); Alyson Miller, F, 5-11 (6.7 ppg. 5.2 rpg)

Starting Five: Brynn Gingras, G, 5-7, So. (5.8 ppg, 2.2 rpg); Caitlin Bair, G, 5-9, Sr. (3.7 ppg, 1.4 apg); Helene Schutrumpf, G, 5-9, Jr. (8.6 ppg, 1.9 apg); Christina Phillips, F, 6-0, So. (2.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg); Meg Simpson, F, 6-0, Sr. (5.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg)

At a glance: While the Elis did not have an impressive record last season, Yale certainly proved that it could run with the top dogs. The Elis took both Penn and Princeton into overtime on Feb. 2 and Feb. 3.

The Elis return its two top scorers from last year in junior guard Maria Smear and Schutrumpf. In addition to Smear’s scoring ability in the paint, Yale’s only All-Ivy returnee was a tremendous force from outside the arc. She finished the season with 40.8 three-point percentage and 62 three-pointers. Smear was recently diagnosed with a stress fracture and the date of her return to the court has not been set.

“Smear is a zone-buster,” Monti said. “She has a great three-point shot and that’s something we’re going to have to respect when we step on the court with Yale. It’s always going to be an intense rivalry with them. We lost to them last year and they always seem to give us a game.”

Captain Simpson will step up in the front court to fill the holes left by Glick and Miller. Already this year, she has set the record for most rebounds in tournament history with 28 on Nov. 18 at the Colorado Coors Classic.

Bair will lead Yale’s solid defense as she is one of the top defenders in the league with Gingras and rookie Mauseth, who will be called upon more while Smear is out.

Brown

Coach: Jean Marie Burr, 14th season (189-154)

Last Season: 10-17, 5-9 Ivy, 6th

Key Additions: Holly Robertson, C, 6-5, Fr.; Christine Okike, F, 6-0, Fr.; Andrea Conrad, F, 6-0, Fr.

Key Losses: Barbara Maloni (19.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg); Rachael MacDonald (8.9 ppg, 6.0 rpg);

Starting Five: Rada Pavichevich, F, 5-10, Sr. (10.0 ppg, 3.2 apg); Nyema Mitchell, F, 6-0, So. (6.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg); Miranda Craigwell, C, 6-2, So. (3.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg); Tanara Golston, G, 5-8, So. (2.7 ppg, 1.4 rpg); Stephanie Bruce, G, 5-8, So. (3.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg)

At a glance: Brown, the would-be team-to-beat in the Ivy is left at that, as the departure of several crucial players has left the Bears looking for players to step up.

The Bears were thought to be in peak form this year, with all its high scorers expected to return, but the loss of Barbara Maloni and Rachael MacDonald will leave a huge hole. Maloni is taking time off while MacDonald has left the team for a reason that commonly plagues teams in this league.

“Rachael really does a lot of other things she wanted to focus on,” said Brown tri-captain Craigwell. “The good thing about the Ivy League is that is allows you the freedom to do that. It’s a perk, but it’s also a deficit because there’s nothing holding players to the team.”

Brown will count on Pavichevich as a major point-scorer, as well as an exceptional threat outside of the arc with 42 three-pointers last year.

Mitchell, the Ivy’s leading shot-blocker last season, will also have a big impact on the court. Against the Crimson on Feb. 13, Mitchell put away two free throws with 6.4 seconds left to give Brown the win.

Bruce and Golston are two of five returning players to have played in all 27 games last year. Classmate Tara Williams adds experience to the team as she had 68 assists from the point.

The Brown squad, though fewer in numbers than expected, has returning talent and experience that could fill in the openings.

Columbia

Coach: Jay Butler, sixth season (32-98)

Last Season: 9-18 (6-8 Ivy, 5th)

Key Additions: Susan Kern, G, 5-11, Fr.; Lauren Grifka, G, 5-6, Fr.; Edytte Key, F, 6-4, Fr.; Nicole Lesko, F, 5-10, Fr.; Susan Altman, G, 5-9, Fr.; Kristina Fell, F, 6-3, Fr.; Erin Jaschik, F, 6-1, Fr.

Key Losses: Shawnee Pickney, F, 6-0 (15.7 ppg, 7.6 rpg); Brie Cokos, G, 5-10 (9.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg)

Starting Five: Nicole Lesko, F, 5-10, Fr.; Megan Bramlette, F, 6-1, Sr. (5.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg); Katie Day, F, 6-1, Jr. (7.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg); Patricia Kern, G, 5-11, Jr. (8.9 ppg, 3.0 apg); Megan O’Neill, G, 5-10, Jr. (6.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg)

At a glance: Without top scorers Pickney and Cokos, the Lions will depend on junior Patricia Kern, who led the team in assists last year. Coach Jay Butler will lead the Lions in a new game plan that relies heavily on the point guard, so Kern will be a player to watch for. O’Neill will also be called on to fill the gap left by Pickney, especially on defense and on the boards. O’Neill tied her career-high with 19 point against Army on Nov. 20, including a basket that sent the game into overtime with six seconds to go. Columbia also returns its two most accurate shooters. Lone senior Bramlette will contribute her team-best 77.8 free-throw percentage and Day led the team with a 44.4 field-goal percentage last year.