Let the College Expand

Graduate schools near the Yard should prepare to make the move to Allston

By Crimson Staff

Considering the space pressure on all the University’s schools and that there is land available in Allston, one or more of Harvard’s graduate schools will inevitably make the move across the river. The sooner this happens the better, both for the College and the University as a whole.

The physical space around the John Harvard statue is highly coveted; the closest building to it, after all, is University Hall. This area is the heart of Harvard College, and the College is the heart of the University. President Lawrence H. Summers has said that he intends to make undergraduate education his top priority, and finding the College the space it needs is an essential step in the right direction.

But the College must be expanded around its center—Harvard Yard. Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth ’71 has said that he covets most the graduate school space closest to the John Harvard statue, as that space would best serve the College’s goal of creating a contiguous and coherent campus. If a graduate school or schools moved to Allston, the College could use the additional space for a 24-hour student center, increased performance space and even another undergraduate House.

While such a move would serve the College well, there are other, very good reasons for graduate schools to move across the river. In Cambridge, the graduate schools face the same crunch that everyone else does—lack of space for faculty offices, student housing and classrooms. In order to convince the schools to pack their bags for Allston, the University must be willing to make these Cambridge liabilities into Allston incentives by guaranteeing enough money to make an attractive Allston campus a reality. Brand new buildings, expanded working and living space and a lush, attractive campus would sweeten the bitter pill of moving to a new home. Every month that is lost before the relocation decision is made hinders University planners; it is difficult for schools to make progress on development plans if they do not know where they’ll be five years down the road. The central administration must start serious negotiations now and reach a decision on which schools should move by the end of the year.

If no consensus can be reached, there is only one other choice. The University must purchase the only other campus-like land nearby—Lesley University.