An Uneven Beginning

First few days of Bush administration raise concerns, but also show promise

By The CRIMSON Staff

President George W. Bush's first 12 days in office have given us opportunities for both praise and criticism. Winning the election without a popular mandate, Bush managed to burn some of his bridges even before he took the oath of office. But more recently, he has made several solid efforts to reach out to both Democrats and Republicans in Congress.

Bush started out on the wrong track by appointing Gale R. Norton and former Sen. John D. Ashcroft to the posts of Interior Secretary and Attorney General. Norton has earned the ire of conservation groups concerned about her environmental record as Colorado's attorney general and her advocacy of oil exploration in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. And the Ashcroft appointment has justifiably angered those who oppose the nominee's past efforts against desegregation in Missouri, his hardline position on abortion, his willingness to blur the line between church and state and his disgraceful interventions to block two Clinton appointees, James Hormel and Judge Ronnie White.

Similarly, Bush made few friends across the aisle with the decision his first day in office to revoke aid to family planning groups that provide abortions or abortion counseling overseas. The action will hinder deserving philanthropic organizations that provide essential and sensitive information to women and families in need. This so-called "gag order," which rescinds one of President Clinton's first executive initiatives, is a serious mistake and may prevent these groups from dispensing needed assistance.

Indeed, at times it seemed as if Bush were trying to erase all that Clinton accomplished. Bush temporarily suspended several executive orders that Clinton issued in his final weeks in office, including some that would protect pristine environmental areas from industry. He has also announced his intention to reverse several other initiatives, including Clinton's support for the International Criminal Court.

But, in recent days, Bush has given some encouraging signs. He correctly identified education as one of the most important issues facing the nation, and one that must be addressed by the federal government. This welcome approach is a far cry from earlier Republican doctrines that endorsed eliminating the Department of Education and turning full control over to states. His plan to devote billions of dollars to much-needed early education programs is a strong cornerstone for further progress. His proposal to test students and hold schools accountable for the results is also promising. And on the most controversial aspect of his proposal, private school vouchers that would drain needed money from public schools, Bush has shown some willingness to compromise.

Bush's creation of an office for community and faith-based initiatives, involving as it does federal funding for religious groups, raises serious concerns. Yet Bush has shown sensitivity to his opponents' concerns here as well, encouraging community groups along with religious organizations to apply for funding, and he has appointed a well-respected academic as director of the new office.

As Bush moves forward, we would like to see him continue to engage Congress in a substantive, cooperative dialogue about the nation's future. Indeed, many have noted Bush's skill in charming legislators and his willingness to consult and rely on his experienced advisors. He must now apply these talents to concrete domestic and foreign issues.

Bush should work with Congress to keep the budget balanced and reevaluate the size of his tax cut proposal. He should develop a sensible and realistic proposal for electoral reform that would ensure that every vote, from rich communities and poor, is counted. And, most importantly, he should work with Sen. John S. McCain (R-Ariz.) to pass the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform legislation--especially now that the bill seems headed for the floor. Bush, who is not fond of the bill, would do well to embrace this issue and take a meaningful step towards ridding the political atmosphere of massive, odious campaign contributions.

On a broader scale, Bush should actively reach out to foreign leaders. He should tread lightly with his missile defense plan, given concerns about its feasibility and the strong opposition voiced by Russia, China and almost all of America's allies. Bush should also take a strong interest in African affairs, for long the most neglected continent on America's foreign policy map.

Though he comes to power without the support of a plurality of Americans, Bush has the opportunity to gain support for his policies if he pursues them in a prudent, conciliatory way. During his campaign, Bush said he would "change the tone in Washington." Now he has the opportunity to cooperate with Congress and fulfill that promise.