Don't Lock Students Out

Masters should agree to extend 24-hour universal keycard access to all Houses

By The CRIMSON Staff

It has now been more than a year since the Masters of all 12 Houses accepted, on a trial basis, a plan for universal keycard access during limited hours. The need for a "trial" was always unclear, but the experience of the past two semesters shows that the Masters should take the final step and open all Houses to 24-hour universal keycard access. Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 has previously expressed support for 24-hour access, and we urge the House Committees and House Masters to approve it as well.

Universal keycard access is foremost an issue of safety. Currently, students are not allowed into any House other than their own during the hours from 1 to 8 a.m. Yet the many students out after 1 a.m. should have the opportunity to duck into any of the Houses in the case of an emergency. If a student feels uncomfortable or threatened, it is essential that he or she be able to find safety at any time. This is especially true late at night, when students are at the greatest risk.

Some opponents of universal access have argued that it is a security risk to allow anyone with a Harvard identification card to have access to any House. But all the Houses are protected by Harvard security personnel, who will prevent intruders from illegally entering the buildings. There has been no appreciable increase in crime in the Houses during the current period of 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. access, as the Undergraduate Council has noted, and security threats are more likely to be found outside the houses than within. Quincy House has 24-hour access and has had no crime wave.

Students would also find 24-hour universal access more convenient. College students hold later hours than most other segments of the population, and we have felt confined by the limited hours of the present keycard access system. Participating in extracurricular activities that meet in the Houses and socializing at late hours will be much easier for upperclass students under the new proposal.

Today members of the council will meet with House Masters to discuss plans for true universal access. We hope that the negotiations prove fruitful. The House Masters should join the student body on this issue and support students' 24-hour universal keycard access to all Houses.