Students Perform Striptease To Protest Sweatshop Labor

By Daniela J. Lamas, Crimson Staff Writer

Members of Harvard Students Against Sweatshops (HSAS) entertained passers-by with an anti-sweatshop striptease in front of the Science Center yesterday afternoon.

To the tune of "Everybody Dance Now," Albert H. Cho '02 and Jessica A. Fragola '04 stripped down to their underwear--in protest Harvard's membership in the Fair Labor Association (FLA), a consortium founded by manufacturing companies such as Nike to monitor working conditions in foreign factories.

HSAS members criticize FLA because its governing board is made up of representatives from the companies it intends to supervise. The group urges Harvard to instead join the Workers Rights Consortium (WRC), a group run by labor and human rights organizations.

Yesterday's demonstration--calling for "full disclosure of working conditions"--was brief and light-hearted.

Clad entirely in Department of Harvard Athletics (DHA) sweats, Cho and Fragola danced while fellow HSAS members held bright signs, reading "Join WRC Now."

"The only thing more ridiculous than this strip show is the administration's refusal to join the WRC," said HSAS member Benjamin L. McKean '02, who is also a Crimson editor.

As the music played, the student strippers took off their sweatshirts and twirled them over their heads.

They threw their shirts and shoes onto the ground, nearly hitting surprised students leaving their 12 p.m. Science Center class.

Despite the frigid wind, Cho and Fragola bravely stripped down to their underwear.

Fragola--wearing only a grey bra, purple bikini bottoms, sparkly red high heels and a pink boa--elicited surprised laughter and applause from the crowd.

Both students wrote "Full Disclosure Now" in multi-colored marker on their bare stomachs.

About ten minutes into the protest, HSAS member Benjamin M. Stoll '04 joined the strippers, quickly taking off his clothes to reveal a fishnet bodysuit and leopard-print skirt.

As the protesters threw off their clothes, HSAS members passed out flyers encouraging students to contact University President Neil L. Rudenstine and urge him to join the WRC.

The 15-minute-long striptease attracted a small crowd of amused onlookers.

"I think it's definitely going to get everyone's attention," onlooker Christopher M. Colosi '03 said, laughing as Cho tore off his sweatpants to reveal tight DHA briefs.

"I think it's great," said Matt N. Abelson '02. "It's a really novel idea."

As the students began to put their clothes back on, a Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) officer approached the HSAS members, asking if they were planning to continue the protest.

The officer said she worried about the safety issues of a public striptease, warning that sexual assault could be an unwanted consequence of such an event.

But despite the intrusion and chilly wind, the strippers say they were pleased and invigorated by the action.

"I feel great," Cho said, shivering in his sweatpants. "It was wonderful. I really feel as though we got our message across."