W. Lacrosse Dominates in 9-8 Season Opener

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite blustery conditions and plowed snow at Jordan Field on Saturday, the Harvard women's lacrosse team had to worry about weathering a storm of another variety.

After a back-and-forth battle which featured six ties and three lead changes, Harvard (1-0) narrowly edged No. 20 UMass, 9-8, to start its season with a victory.

A three-goal, two-assist effort from Crimson co-captain Alli Harper and a respectable showing in goal from sophomore Nora Guyer sent the Minutewomen (0-1) back to Amherst cold and empty-handed.

"UMass is always one of the first games we play, and it's usually a challenge because [UMass] is such a tough and physical team," said Harper said. "Both teams were fighting goal for goal."

Although Harvard fell behind 2-0 in the early going, free possession goals from Harper and junior Erin Kutner equalized the score halfway through the first frame.

The Crimson gave up another two-goal lead to the Minutewomen, but junior Heather Hussey pulled Harvard to within one with her goal in the 30th minute. UMasss led at the half, 4-3.

Two minutes into the second half, Crimson sophomore Katie Shaughnessy scored to tie the game at 4-4. Thirty-six seconds later, Fay Naber answered with a goal to put UMass back on top. And eight seconds after that, senior Lauren Corkery took converted on a Harper pass to pull the Crimson even.

Harvard had a brief 6-5 lead when Corkery returned the favor and assisted on a goal for classmate Harper. However, UMass yet again knotted the score on a goal from attacker Hope Zelinger. Crimson freshman Jen Brooks took a pass from Hussey and beat Cyndi Doyle to give Harvard a 7-6 lead at 17:53 in the second half.

"It was nice to see the freshmen get into the game and contribute," Harper said. "They totally energized the team."

The Minutewomen answered Brooks' go-ahead tally with two goals from Lydia Robinson at 18:11 and from Angela McMahon at 19:44. With UMass on top 8-7, both teams struggled for the next few minutes to put the game away.

But in the 57th minute, Harper took control of the game. After scoring her third goal on a free possession to tie the score at 8-8, the senior attacker found junior Lizzie Frisbie for the game-winner at 26:40.

Crimson goalie Guyer ended the afternoon with three saves, while her counterpart, Doyle, had ten saves in the losing effort.

Harvard fielded an older and seemingly more disciplined and wiser team to open its 2001 season. After graduating two seniors last year, this year's Crimson squad boasts seven. In addition, most of the other key position players have at least one year of playing experience under their belts.

"A big factor is the presence of upperclassmen," Harper said. "In the past, we've always been a young team, and now most of our starters are either juniors or seniors."

Despite the overwhelming number of upperclassmen and relatively few freshmen, Harper reports that the unity and cohesion of the team is one of its strengths.

"This is probably the best team dynamic that we've had here in a few years," Harper said.

The Crimson is coached by Carole Kleinfelder, who returns for her 22nd year at the helm. Kleinfelder led the Crimson to a national championship in 1990 and is the winningest coach in women's collegiate lacrosse history.

Kleinfelder will focus her team on its next task, a road game against B.C. on Wednesday followed by a difficult contest against Notre Dame at home on Saturday.

"B.C. will be a big game, and we need to be careful to build up confidence heading into this weekend against Notre Dame," Harper said.

The Crimson will look to improve upon its 6-7 showing last season, which included an Ivy record of 3-4.