Band Director Will Take Leave of Absence

By Hannah E. Kenser, Contributing Writer

Harvard Band Director Thomas G. Everett, a 29-year veteran of the program, has said he will take a leave of absence until the end of the semester for unspecified health reasons.

While Everett's request has not yet been approved, Everett said that he suspects his leave will be official starting next week.

"The Harvard Band is an organization with a long history of being directed, motivated and managed by senior student staff," Everett said. He added that the bands activities and plans for the rest of the year will not change.

"My duties here are advisory," he said, "I hate to say it, but they could probably function without me."

Everett began his role as Harvard Band Director in 1971, and says he has every intention of coming back and hopes to return for commencement.

For the remainder of the year, Harvard Band Manager Alisha H. Creel '02 will be in full charge and control, Everett said.

"The band is entirely student run, " Creel said, "Tom Everett is important to us, but we'll be fine."

Some of Everett's primary duties include conducting the Jazz and Wind ensembles. However, Everett said that Boston Conservatory professor Larry L. Issacson will direct the wind ensemble during the Arts First festival in May.

Everett explained that he will take leave of all his duties with the Harvard band, his committees on campus and his work with students.

"I am not going to leave anyone out to dry here," Everett said. "Most things are in pretty good shape."

The announcement of Everett's leave of absence came as a surprise to many of the band members.

Trumpet player Reid M. Bolton '04, said his reaction was shock.

"I hadn't seen it coming," Bolton said, "We hope to see him again next year."

Everett said that it is difficult to look into the future, but that his primary concern is to take care of his medical concerns.

"In my 29 years I have never taken a vacation; I have never taken time off," Everett said, "So it's due."