Council Supports Online Concentration Guide

By Alex B. Ginsberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Continuing his push for a CUE guide to concentrations, Undergraduate Council President Paul A. Gusmorino `02 successfully ushered a bill through the council last night promoting the project-an interactive, web-based guide that Gusmorino thinks will help first-year students decide what to study.

Gusmorino presented the idea for the guide earlier this year to members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education. Yesterday's resolution, which urges the committee to implement Gusmorino's proposal, marks the council's first vote on the guide.

The concentration guide will include important statistics about concentrators in each field, testimonials from concentrators and a discussion forum that will allow concentrators to offer advice to first-years.

Gusmorino said the discussion forum was important in that will let "upperclassmen communicate with first-year students about their experiences in different concentrations."

The council also unanimously passed a bill containing what will be one of the final allocations for the April 28th Springfest.

Yesterday's allocation of more than $5,000 will go mainly toward paying for security, machine operators, T-shirts and the festival's soundstage.

Council members expect Springfest's final total cost to be around $15,000-less than half of the nearly $40,000 spent last year.

Most of this difference, according to Gusmorino, can be attributed to the fact that this year's concert will feature only student bands, while last year's featured the popular "swing" band Big Bad Voodoo Daddies.

The final bill on last night's docket-a resolution for the council to officially support extending weekend party hours to 2 a.m.-also passed unanimously.

This semester, the council has been encouraging College administrators to extend the current House party curfew of 1 a.m. by one hour and council members are hoping to see some success by next fall.