another New Album

By Malik B. Ali, Crimson Staff Writer

Los Hombres Calientes

New Congo Square

(Basin Street Records)

On their third album, Irvin Mayfield and Bill Summers lead Los Hombres in a new direction, or many at once. New Congo Square was recorded in five countries and features a trailer load of guests, from Kermit Ruffins and the Rebirth Brass Band to members of Burning Spear.

The group is fluent in the many rhythms and styles that they incorporate. While “Foforo Fo Firi” is reminiscent of the best Afro-Cuban tunes, “Brother Running/Brother Gettin’ Caught” speaks the language of the post-Marsalis jazz combo. “New Second Line” captures the joy of Mardi Gras, with all the swagger and raucousness of a Fat Tuesday parade. The sweet simple statement of Tom Jobim’s bossa “Corcovado” is a welcome cool-down midway through an otherwise frolicking album.

However, at 79 minutes, the album may have benefited from more thorough editing. “Jah Rastafari” almost seems a parody of Burning Spear, and Summers’ R&B hit “Call It What You Want” was probably best left in 1981.

All this barely detracts from an album that parties, swings and sings its way all over the Americas, with Africa ever lurking beneath the surface.  Look out for this album come Grammy time next year, wherever it’s categorized.  —Malik B. Ali