Harvard Greets Class of 2005

By Hannah E. Kenser, Contributing Writer

Pre-frosh were welcomed by protesters outside of Mass. Hall and a Native American pow-wow in front of the Science Center this weekend as they got an official taste of life at Harvard.

Saturday afternoon, pre-frosh filled Science Center C to hear President Neil R. Rudenstine's welcome speech.

During the speech, Rudenstine fielded a series of difficult questions from audience members on everything from the Progressive Student Labor Movement's (PSLM) occupation of Massachusetts Hall to the appointment of a new University president.

Rudenstine spent a large portion of his speech defending the University's stance on the living wage debate, noting the review process that the University went through to reach their conclusion last spring.

"There are a group of students who think that nothing les that $10 is fair... we don't agree," Rudenstine said.

Rudenstine explained to the pre-frosh and relatively large number of parents in the audience that last spring's changes in the employee health care plan and an establishment of an employee-training program were results of the University's inquiry into PSLM's earlier demands.

"I'm not quite sure what more one can do," Rudenstine said.

Rudenstine also praised president-elect Lawrence H. Summer's, saying that he is a "phenomenally gifted teacher who is interested in undergraduate education."

While PSLM protesters were visible on campus all weekend, their presence was felt most closely, according to many pre-frosh, during the advising panel on Saturday when protestors lined up with tape over their mouths in the back of the lecture hall.

"It kind of made us uncomfortable, so we left," Caitlin R. Swanson, a pre-frosh from Massachusetts, said.

While several pre-frosh said that they were intimidated by the protesters' presence, many said they saw the protest as evidence of Harvard's open nature.

"I thought the way the adults didn't stop [the protests] showed that they respected the students perspective on issues," Martha I. Casillas, a pre-frosh from California, said.

Exactly 1000 pre-frosh are here for the pre-frosh program this weekend, and scheduled activities included the Saturday night regional reception and ice-cream bash, the Sunday night a capella jam, and several dances and performances.

"I like it how they have it planned so that there are more activities scheduled than you could possible go to," William C. van der Touw, a pre-frosh from California, said.

And many said that this weekend answered their questions about Harvard's social scene as well.

"I've heard all these rumors that Harvard has no social life," said pre-frosh Jennifer A. Stolper. "This weekend made me feel better."

This year, the Admissions Council changed the starting date so that the pre-frosh program began on Saturday morning and will end this evening. In previous years, the program began on Friday and pre-frosh returned home on Sunday.

This change allowed students the opportunity to attend classes on Monday, according to Admissions Officer and Student Hosting Co-Coordinator Logan H. Powell.