PSLM Gets Substantial Boost at Weekend Rallies

By Daniela J. Lamas, Crimson Staff Writer

The ongoing sit-in in Mass. Hall gained considerable momentum this past weekend, as members of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) attracted prominent politicians, Harvard House Masters and increasing numbers of undergraduates to their ongoing protest for a living wage.

Bolstered by a steadily growing "tent city" of supporters and impromptu messages from U.S. Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.), former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich and AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney, PSLM members said they plan to occupy the building indefinitely-until the administration grants Harvard employees a living wage of at least $10.25 per hour.

Masters from all the houses except Dunster and Kirkland issued a statement last night urging administrators to negotiate with the students occupying Mass. Hall. The letter said the masters of Dunster and Kirkland could not be contacted.

"We urge that a process be put in place to move beyond the present impasse," the letter reads. "We suggest a face to face meeting between student leaders and the administration and a step-by-step plan for a larger community dialogue."

After a Friday afternoon rally attracting about 250 students, Kennedy stopped by to lend his support to the cause.

Kennedy tried to enter the occupied building, but was stopped by Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) officials. He spoke briefly to the crowd, drawing cheers when he announced his support of the sit-in.

"I believe we're going to be successful," he said as he pinned a living wage button on his jacket.

From inside the building, a PSLM member yelled out the window-asking Kennedy whether he would call University President Neil L. Rudenstine to ask for a living wage.

"I'll call him, absolutely," Kennedy said.

Similarly, Sweeney called the supporters "courageous" in a phone call to the building Friday to endorse the sit-in.

The continuing sit-in also got an unexpected boost from Reich, who was on campus Saturday for an event sponsored by the Harvard Democrats.

Addressing a crowd of more than 200 gathered to denounce the Free Trade of the Americas Agreement, Reich said he supported the students camping out in the administrative building.

"I've dedicated a lot of my life to the proposition that people need to be paid a living wage," he said. "The notion of a working poor ought to be an oxymoron in America."

Reich said the living wage is not just an economic, but also a moral issue.

"You do not want to be morally complicit in a system that does not give people enough money for their work and that I applaud you for," he gestured to the students sticking their heads out of the open Mass. Hall windows. "You are expressing the moral consciousness of this community. Do not minimize for one second that effect students can have on the public dialogue."

Before leaving, Reich-like Kennedy-shook hands through the windows with the students inside Mass. Hall.

Some local political leaders have also stopped by Mass. Hall to express their support. Mass. State Rep. Jarrett T. Barrios '90 brought protesters breakfast Saturday morning and chatted with those inside the building.

PSLM members said they hope the vocal support from political leaders will push the administration to negotiate with the protesters.

"This is all about pressure and showing there is a unified front," said PSLM member Emilou H. Maclean '01.

But University Spokesperson Joe Wrinn said the administration will not cave to outside pressure-and will not negotiate with students while the sit-in continues.

"We're certainly not going to speak to them while they're occupying a building," Wrinn said yesterday.

Service On Sunday

Support for the students who have spent more than 100 hours inside Mass. Hall took on a decidedly religious tone this weekend, with visits from Protestant, Catholic and Jewish congregations.

Early yesterday morning, Peter J. Gomes, Plummer professor of Christian morals and minister in Memorial Church, led about 60 well-dressed members of his congregation from Memorial Church to the steps of Mass. Hall to lead a short service.

Gomes did not explicitly endorse the sit-in, but he blessed the students occupying the building who were unable to go to church.

"We have many views on the things that you represent," Gomes said, "but the chief view today is that we wish for peace and harmony in our college and in our University... and we wish a just and a speedy resolution to those issues that so painfully divide us."

At the end of the brief prayer, Gomes turned to the congregation and said, "Depart in peace." He then turned to the students leaning their heads out of the Mass. Hall windows and smiled, "Depart when you can."

Later yesterday afternoon, a Catholic priest led a mass outside of Mass. Hall, and gave communion to about 30 students. HUPD then unlocked the doors to Mass. Hall and allowed the priest into the vestibule of the building to give communion to Catholic protesters.

For the PSLM members occupying the building, these were both symbolic moves.

The service is the first Catholic mass to take place in the Yard for at least 20 years and the priest was the only person other than House masters and administrators to enter Mass. Hall since Wednesday.

In addition, on Friday night, members of Harvard Hillel brought challah and wine to share with protesters at a service celebrating the beginning of Shabbat.

Building Support

PSLM members have also garnered significant support from those within the University, extending from House masters to undergraduates.

As administrators, masters are allowed to enter Mass. Hall, and the masters of Adams, Cabot, Eliot, Leverett and Lowell Houses have come by to visit students and offer their support.

The masters also composed an open letter last night urging administrators to negotiate with students.

The masters hope the letter will "provide a foundation for reconciliation," Eliot House Master Lino Pertile said yesterday.

Pertile visited the students occupying Mass. Hall briefly Saturday.

While the students seemed comfortable, he said he hopes that the University soon reaches some resolution.

"They are there because their conscience compels them," he said. "They'd rather be playing in the sun."

For those concerned about quality of life in the Houses, Pertile said the living wage issue is difficult to ignore.

"In the Houses the living wage issue has a human face," Pertile said. "We are in touch and our students are in touch every day with very low-paid workers."

And student support has grown increasingly more visible since Friday with the creation of "tent city"-20 tents, banners and messages of support for the living wage campaign drawn on the cement in colored chalk. More than 50 students have slept out the past three nights.

Hand-written messages from the students inside Mass. Hall hang on string around the tents.

"I feel that this was my last chance to prove I cared about the people who work for, with and around me," one message reads.

Yesterday afternoon, representatives from student groups endorsing the sit-in-including the Black Students Association (BSA) and the Harvard Democrats-attracted a crowd of about 60 students outside the tent city.

BSA member Fred O. Smith '04 said the principles behind the occupation of Mass. Hall are just part of a complete education.

"We believe that it's not just about academics, it's about compassion," Smith said, gesturing to the students cheering out of the open Mass. Hall windows behind him. "This shows up that we have a nation that's on its proper course."