Kennedy Meets With Rudenstine

Senator privately pushes living wage after official reception

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy ’54-’56 (D-Mass.) took advantage of a Washington stop on University President Neil L. Rudenstine’s “farewell tour” to meet privately with the president to urge him to enact a living wage.

In a previously scheduled afternoon event, Rudenstine journeyed to Capitol Hill to thank alumni serving in Congress for their support during his tenure.

The issue of the living wage protesters inside Mass. Hall was not raised publicly during the two-hour luncheon, which focused on issues facing higher education, but Kennedy, who has been a vocal supporter of the living wage campaign, broached the topic with Rudenstine during a private conversation.

“Kennedy reiterated his desire for the issue to be resolved, and reiterated his support for a living wage for families,” said Will Keyser, a spokesperson for Kennedy. He characterized the discussion as “very positive,” and said Kennedy would continue his support of the protesters.

Rudenstine and Kennedy had spoken prior to yesterday’s luncheon about the issue, and Kennedy’s office has offered to mediate a settlement between the University and the protesters.

Yesterday’s luncheon had been scheduled for about a month, and had been organized by Rudenstine, Kennedy, Rep. Michael A. Capuano (D-Mass.), and Rep. Nancy L. Johnson ’57 (R-Conn.). Almost a dozen members of Congress are Harvard alumni, including Sen. Charles E. Schumer ’71 (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV ’58-’61 (D-W.V.), who both attended the lunch.

While some Congress members came in and out, most stayed and listened to Rudenstine’s speech and dined on salmon in the private Senate reception room.

After introductory remarks by Kennedy, Rudenstine thanked attendees for their help in funding university research across the nation, according to University spokesperson Kevin Casey.

The meeting also was a symbolic “passing of the torch,” as Rudenstine introduced President-elect Lawrence H. Summers to the Harvard alums, most of whom Summers knew from his days in the Treasury Department.

During a question-and-answer session at the end of the luncheon, the attendees pushed Rudenstine and Summers on issues of undergraduate education, the Core Curriculum and international education.

“Unlike a lot of political meetings, the hot button issues were discussed in very thoughtful questions, and elicited intellectual discussions,” Casey said.

—Staff writer Garrett M. Graff can be reached at ggraff@fas.harvard.edu.