Women's Tennis Closes On a High Note

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women's tennis team closed out its season yesterday afternoon with a bittersweet whitewashing of Dartmouth.

The Crimson (12-9, 5-2 Ivy) won every set of singles play en route to a 7-0 victory against the Big Green (7-12, 2-5).

Harvard finishes the season third-place behind upstart Yale and Penn (19-7. 7-0). The Quakers recently wrapped up their first-ever Ivy title.

The only defeat of the day came at No. 1 doubles, where sophomore Sanja Bajin and co-captain Sanaz Ghazal fell 8-9 (4) to Dartmouth's Sarita Yardi and Carly Bashleban.

Harvard wrapped up the doubles point despite the loss at the top, thanks to juniors Fleur Broughton and Andrea Magyera who won, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles, and junior Sara McGinty and sophomore Lara Naqushbandi won by the same score at No. 3.

Bajin would earn her revenge in singles, cruising over Yardi in No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-2. Ghazal would win her final career match in No. 3 singles against Courtney Smalley, 6-4, 6-3.

Broughton and Naqushbandi earned their second victories of the afternoon with wins at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Broughton won 6-1, 6-4 and Naqushbandi won 6-3, 6-1.

Junior Jennie Timoney was triumphant at No. 5 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 victory, while Lola Ajilore-the lone freshman starter on the team-won 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot.

Following yesterday's sweep, the Crimson's future looks rosy, as Ghazal is the only senior on the team. The Crimson will look to renew its history of dominance next season In the 19-year history of Ivy women's tennis, the Crimson has won 13 Ivy titles and lost just 17 matches.