Low-Cost Springfest Planned for Weekend

By Alexander B. Ginsberg, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council will kick off its annual Springfest celebration tomorrow afternoon in the Mac Quad-but with a few significant changes from last year.

This year's musical lineup will include only student bands, unlike last year's concert that featured popular swing band "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy."

Without a big band to finance, this year's Springfest will cost the council less than half of last year's budget-decreasing costs from $40,000 to about $15,000.

"I'm sure the student bands will be great," said Melissa A. Eccleston `04, co-chair of the council's Campus Life Committee (CLC). "Plus, we freed up more money for other aspects like amusements."

For example, Eccleston said, the council contracted with a more expensive company to provide rides, in the hope that students will have more to do at Springfest than just listen to music.

Last year's rides never arrived at the event after a legal issue arose between the company and the city of Cambridge.

"Even though we're not having a big band, it should still be a great time," Eccleston said.

The show will be hosted by Harvard's Instant Gratification Players (IGP), a student improv-comedy troupe.

The group was a somewhat controversial choice, with the council originally considering giving the job to popular campus personality B.J. Averell `02.

IGP had originally requested payment to host Springfest, but Averell was willing to emcee at no charge.

In response, IGP offered to host for free, as well.

CLC voted and chose IGP.

"I suppose it was a bit controversial, but I'm sure IGP will do a good job," Eccleston said.

Big Band?

Traditionally, Springfest serves as the basis for bringing big bands to Harvard. But the Harvard Concert Commission, which organized the winter concert featuring the Roots and the Black Eyed Peas, has taken sole responsibility for bringing professional acts to Harvard from this year forward, leaving Springfest hosting student bands.

"I think the concert commission will bring in good bands," Eccleston said. "It would have been nice to get a professional band at Springfest, but it just wasn't feasible."

Eccleston said hiring a professional band created a number of logistical problems-like greater equipment and space needs-that neither the council nor the administration wanted to deal with.

Instead, student performers Meika Pauley '02, Diaco, Nano, Second Act, Chapman Field Drive, Invisible Downtown, and FinkFankFunk will grace the stage.

These seven groups were chosen from among 16 that auditioned.

FinkFankFunk band member Ari K. Appel `03 said he expects the concert to be well-received by students.

"We're big, we're bad," Appel said. "We're no Voodoo Daddy, but we'll play until you can't funk no more."

Amusement Park

This year, the council contracted with Bruce Smick Amusements, spending more than $4,000 for a "moonbounce," a water tag arena, a 26-foot climbing wall, a "gladiator joust," and a "bounce 'n box."

Last year's council failed to bring rides to Springfest after the Cambridge licensing board learned that the company the council had hired did not have proper insurance.

Robert M. Gee `02, CLC's other co-chair, blamed this mistake on poor planning.

"This time, we made sure we had a company with insurance," Gee said. "We also met with the administration and went to the city for licensing a week and a half early."

Students can also expect to see performances by a number of student groups-like the juggling club-and to enjoy food provided by various campus ethnic societies.

In addition, the "House Olympics" will feature a relay race, a tug of war and a pie-eating contest, among other activities.

The winning House will be awarded the council's "House of the Month" prize, which brings with it a $100 stipend.

Money Talks

The $15,000 budget for this year's festivities is less than half of the $40,000 the council spent last year.

Most of the difference, council members say, can be attributed to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's $15,000 price tag.

This year's largest single allocation was the $4,250 for amusements.

The soundstage and security for the concert made up the next largest costs.

Smaller expenses such as $621 for T-shirts, $300 for cotton candy and $275 to distribute free CD's of the student bands' music accounted for the remainder.