Pforzheimer Party Suite To Remain Quad

By Jason L. Steorts, Contributing Writer

Residents of Pforzheimer House briefly faced the disheartening prospect of losing a hub of the House social life yesterday, as rumors circulated that the House administration would partition the common room of the renowned "Belltower Suite." After a flurry of complaints, House Masters James J. McCarthy and M. Suzanne McCarthy wrote in an e-mail message that the room would stay untouched.

Students grew concerned when they noticed that the Pforzheimer Housing Information Website indicated the Belltower Suite would house five students next year. The suite currently consists of four small bedrooms and a large common room, and House residents speculated over the House e-mail list that it would be necessary to partition the common room in order to accommodate a fifth resident, effectively eliminating its value as a party site.

The McCarthys said their decision to add a fifth resident the Belltower Suite had been motivated by the need for additional housing space. They said there was never any plan to partition the common room. Noting that they make decisions about allocation of space each year, they said "this year is the first time that students have expressed concerns about these changes to us."

It was discussion with students concerned about the Belltower's future that ultimately persuaded them to change their decision, the McCarthys said. "We will try to give earlier notice if we do conclude in the future that this large suite will have to be used as a quint," they said.

Suite M-410, known as the Belltower Suite because of its location directly beneath Pforzheimer House's main tower, is famous throughout Harvard as a location of lively and frequent parties. "Along with the Currier 10-man, the Cabot Library Suite, and the Kirkland 10-man, the Belltower is a primary part of the house's identity," said Pforzheimer resident Joshua S. Dienstag `02.