M. Golf Ends Season With Top-Five Finish

By Jessica T. Lee, Contributing Writer

For its final tournament of a gloomy season, the Harvard men’s golf team traveled to Rhode Island to play in the URI Invitational.

The Crimson’s disappointing year ended on a high note as the team finished in the top five for the first time this year.

“The team made a really good comeback on the second day,” said junior Andrew Malcolm.

Malcolm led Harvard by placing in the top seven golfers with an individual score of 153.

Senior Jack Lynch and freshman Andrew Klein followed with scores of 156, placing them both into the top 15 scorers.

Freshman Steve Mungovan shot a 156 and senior Rob Erickson shot 168.

The invitational signaled the end of a season full of disappointments and poor performances.

“It was cold, and it rained a lot, and we only practiced twice all spring,” said senior Matt Dost. “We got our clubs stolen on the spring trip [to Atlanta]; it was a disaster. We consistently under-performed.”

By turning in its best performance of the season this weekend, the golf team finally achieved the success that it had fallen short of reaching all year.

“Team morale is high compared to the usual,” Malcolm said.

For the five seniors, the tournament proved to be a nice way to end the season for the two of them that played in it.

“I’m happy to end my Harvard career this way,” Erickson said.

Next week, the seniors travel to the Augusta National course, site of the Masters, to play a round on the greatest course in the country